What's your opinion on Glofish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
personally on th topic of glowfish. i see it as fine as long as its natural and not some kind of manmade genetic mutation or dying of fish but i dont thinks its either of those but i could be wrong

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Glofish are not dyed. Their genes were simply spliced with a jellyfish DNA to give the glowing effect which works only under blacklight.

kitokatlin

1.21 Gigawatts!
It is not only under blacklight though, they seem to glow under any light, they are so vibrant.

Mindcrime121

AC Members
Nov 2, 2008
Willows, California
Gene splicing with jellyfish DNA?? Wow, ok, I thought this was some sort of cross BREEDING with a similar fish species or some sort of selective breeding project using only zebra danios with a particular trait to bring this color form into existance. The gene splicing with jellyfish DNA thing takes this whole inssue into the science fiction realm... What's next? Crawfish DNA splice with octopus to get 8 clawed color changing fresh water lobsters? Electric Oscars? Elephant nosed Pacu? Yah, this is kinda out there...

kitokatlin

1.21 Gigawatts!
Awsome, Electric oscars! oh oh oh how about tigerfish rainbows.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store