What's your opinion on Glofish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lexi_D

is *Magic*
Nov 25, 2007
PA
watershedrussiantortoise.blogspot.com
I saw these fish at the LFS a few months ago. They were 6 bucks each so I decided to pass on getting them. It was later that I figured out what they were. I kind of have mixed feelings about glofish. The fish don't suffer at all, but something about the look of them is wrong. I guess I'm just a fan of natural looking aquariums. Glo in the dark danios are not exactly natural.
:iagree: ... I don't like them. lol :rolleyes:

Aug 25, 2007
in front of my computer
I like the bright colors, but there's plenty of other bright fish that are that way naturally. I don't find them morally offensive to the extent I do tattooed and dyed fish, but I don't wish to financially contribute to genetically manipulating fish by purchasing them.

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
I will admit that I have not read all of the posts on this thread...but here is my 2 cents.....I think Glo-fish (danios) are really pretty and colorful but it also brings to mind genetically engineered meat/livestock. It is just not natural - I do not want to eat something that has been humanly/genetically modified - it just aint right.....leave mother nature alone. She has enough beauty for us all to behold without man steppin in to muck it all up...............I seem to be on the soap box alot tonite.....sorry. :huh:

Damodred

Addict.
Dec 5, 2008
NE Iowa
Although I don't find anything morally wrong with Glofish, I think they're terribly unattractive. I much prefer 'natural' fish, even Neon Tetras.

Zaffy

Why would ******* be censored?
Jul 21, 2008
Canyon Country, Ca.
I'm not a fan of the unnatural colors, but I'm not against this kind of gene manipulation. I don't see it as cruel unless people release these fish into the wild.

I will admit that I have not read all of the posts on this thread...but here is my 2 cents.....I think Glo-fish (danios) are really pretty and colorful but it also brings to mind genetically engineered meat/livestock. It is just not natural - I do not want to eat something that has been humanly/genetically modified - it just aint right.....leave mother nature alone. She has enough beauty for us all to behold without man steppin in to muck it all up...............I seem to be on the soap box alot tonite.....sorry. :huh:
Sorry to break it to you, but it's highly likely that you're already eating genetically altered foods (meat and produce).

DarrylR

AC Members
Sep 17, 2007
Maryland
GloFish® Red Zebra Danio is a spectacular variation of the Zebra Danio, Brachydanio rerio. Just as hardy and active as its traditional counterpart, this fish displays a stunning red flouresence -- even under standard lighting. Originally bred to help detect environmental pollutants in natural waterways, this fish is now available to aquarium hobbyists through limited distribution.

But I like them, and if I could afford them I would :S.

centralharbor

fat panda cory
Sep 23, 2004
I'm not sure if this point was brought up in the thread because I haven't read it, but since the purpose of glofish was initially to detect pollution in certain areas, would the people that are against glofish rather they use harsh chemicals to test the pollution or use glofish?

You might be thinking that the chemicals aren't that harsh, and even if they are, it's a small amount. Well, the chemicals themselves may or may not be detrimental to the environment, but the process of either manufacturing or extracting the chemicals would probably add some pollution to the environment. Also, even if it's just a small amount, it will add up over time.

I assume the environmental impact of raising a bunch of glofish is less than making all those chemicals to test water, so what do you pick, genetically engineered fish, or chemicals that impact the environment?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store