Which hydor koralia powerhead for a 20tall?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
I am looking to replace my aquaclear powerhead with a hydor koralia powerhead. I was thinking either a nano or a 1; what do you guys think? This tank, atleast imo, cannot be called a reef tank, but I do have some basic corals such as mushrooms, xenia, and am getting a duncan coral tomorrow. I don't want too much flow, but don't want too little either.

Thanks.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
20 tall, no less than a 2 IMO. A 1 is a joke, hardly does anything. Tried a 1 in a 24G nano and it didn't make one bit of difference, even when directing it right at a frogspawn. Never tried a nano because the 1's were so weak.

From years of playing with koralias now I have come to the conclusion that:
1=10G or less
2=20G or less
3=30G or less (Personally, I had 2 #3s in my 29G and it was still what I would call medium flow). Right now I have 2 #4s and a #3 on the 72G bowfront and even that doesn't seem like a lot of flow to me.

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
20 tall, no less than a 2 IMO. A 1 is a joke, hardly does anything. Tried a 1 in a 24G nano and it didn't make one bit of difference, even when directing it right at a frogspawn. Never tried a nano because the 1's were so weak.

From years of playing with koralias now I have come to the conclusion that:
1=10G or less
2=20G or less
3=30G or less (Personally, I had 2 #3s in my 29G and it was still what I would call medium flow). Right now I have 2 #4s and a #3 on the 72G bowfront and even that doesn't seem like a lot of flow to me.
I've got 4 4's for my 90, think that's enough?

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
For some reason there is a huge difference in flow between the 3's and 4's. 1-3 are small increases in flow.. but then you put a 4 in the mix and it seems like it is 2x as strong as a 3, where as a 3 is only 1/2 stronger than a 2.

As for placement.. another thing you will have to play with constantly for the first month of setup. It all depends on how you stack the rocks and place the powerheads. There is no way I could tell anyone where to place powerheads in their tanks because I could never figure that one out myself with my own tank sitting in front of me. It was always "place powerheads, sit down and observe for 5-10 minutes, then readjust.. " this goes on for about a month until you get it just right.

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
Kind of like the aquascaping of the rocks. Trial and error or effect.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store