Which is better, a bag or a bucket?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vanillaXtiffy

AC Members
Nov 28, 2008
Virginia
Real Name
Nilla
We're playing the moving cross country game again, except this time we're driving. I was thinking about my options for my fish, initially I was just going to bag them up and box them as if I were shipping them, but then I got an idea. They'd have more air and more water if I just put them in a bucket filled up 1/3 of the way with water. The only thing I'm worried about is keeping them warm, but I wasn't expecting to move again so I gave all of my heat packs away, so warmth will be an issue if I bag and box them anyway. The only thing that would help is that the box I'm using does have styrofoam.

The main thing I'm worried about is my pleco. He survived being shipped and living in his tank without a heater of filter for the first few days when we moved here (the box with my equipment took like 3 days to make it) and this is only a 10 hour drive, so it's not like it's terrible. But there's always that what if in the back of my mind :uhoh:

hadesnuggz

AC Members
Jun 18, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
Well Whatever you use, you want to make sure it wont break during shipping and you want to use something where you fill it up all the way. You dont want them to be splashing around at all filling the container up with water to teh max with a lid on it will keep this from happening... With maybe the plastic shipping air pouches around the container.. And use couple oxygen tablets in the water that release oxygen for up to 24 hours.

vanillaXtiffy

AC Members
Nov 28, 2008
Virginia
Real Name
Nilla
They're not being shipped, we're going by car instead of plane this time.

AbbeysDad

AC Members
Nov 7, 2011
Real Name
Michael
If it was me, I'd use a plastic bag inside a cooler and use a battery operated air pump.

vanillaXtiffy

AC Members
Nov 28, 2008
Virginia
Real Name
Nilla
I don't have either of those things. Since we didn't even know we were moving until about 4 days ago, I'm going with the "whatever I have around the house" method of packing my fishies, so that leaves the above two options :p

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I've done a 7 hour drive multiple times in buckets. Water was not filled up all the way but they were "sealed"...not tight though so there was some air in and out.

It went just fine, granted it's always been in the summer.

Jill-O

All American Girl (all grown up)
I'd opt for a bag in a bucket (or cooler). Extra protection and the option to change along the way.

verbal

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Northern Virginia
Real Name
Jesse
You should probably fast your fish before the move. With a 10 hour trip, I would do a water change in the middle for the pleco if possible.

Cowgrl4life

AC Members
Dec 25, 2011
Fort Scott, KS
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Carissa
My favorite way to transport my fish is in a bucket, with airline holes drilled into the top. Then buy a power converter that will take an air pump to a cigarette lighter. Then into the car they go. This way they're in warmer temperatures in the car, and have plenty of air. A water change may not be a bad idea depending on how many you have in a bucket(s) If you needed multiple buckets you could also use airline splitters so you only have to use one air pump.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store