White Dots

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

paradigmcubed

AC Members
Mar 15, 2003
Chapel Hill, NC
Visit site
I tested my ammonia, no detectable traces at all. Should I get any other type of medication to help with this? I have upped the tank temperature to 84 degress and kept the light off. I'm told a lightless will help kill the ich.

Thanks

stoopid

AC Members
May 15, 2003
There are numerous chemicals. I thought I had ich (due to scratching in gravel/rock) and used Aquarisol for only a few days and the scratching mostly stopped (though don't know if it was ich or flashing/behavioral).

Last edited:

Matt W

AC Members
Jul 30, 2003
Jacksonville, FL
codewalkers.com
It depends on where the ich is in its life cycle on whether the meds will have an immediate effect. Basically, it could get worse before it gets better.

Now that you have started the meds, just stay on track with them. Be consistent. Don't make any more radical changes to the tank that could cause stress. The temp should have been raised very slowly, a rapid jump in temp could cause more stress.

While you wait for the ich to run its course and be treated by the meds, let's get to the bottom of how the ich outbreak happened. Did you add any new fish recently?

paradigmcubed

AC Members
Mar 15, 2003
Chapel Hill, NC
Visit site
My ich problem was caused by fish that I added a little while ago. A guy was getting rid of his 125, needed to get rid of the fish that day and I took them. Curiously, the only fish without visible signs of ick are my synodontis and Electric Blue (known to be less hardy).

paradigmcubed

AC Members
Mar 15, 2003
Chapel Hill, NC
Visit site
It's really, really bad now. The white dots are even on the peacock's eyes and their scales have begun to "break" or peel. Is there anything else that would help in addition to the Ich guard II. Should I put in regular ich medicine at a reduced rate since I have synodontis and plecos? If so, how much regular ich, I have a 120. Would I want to put maybe 100 gallons worth of treatment???

Thanks

paradigmcubed

AC Members
Mar 15, 2003
Chapel Hill, NC
Visit site
Say I want to put regular Ich with Malachite Green in a tank of 125 gallons. I have Synodontis and one Pleco, and it is a drop per a gallon. Should I put in 1/2 or 3/4 the suggested amount because of those catfish?

Thanks (Please Reply Soon!!!)

stoopid

AC Members
May 15, 2003
I don't know how "sensitive" those cats are, my loaches are supposed to be very sensitive and I had 2-3 full treatments running in my tank for 3 days, soit's probably alright to do 3/4 in addition to your existing treatment... but I'm not a medication expert by any means and still new to the hobby, only speak from my limited experience.

Give it several days with full ich guard treatment without water changes so it has time to kill off the existing ich, then do like 50-75% change and add another full dose. If that doesn't wipe it out then nothing will.

fam1197

AC Members
Sep 25, 2003
New York
www.msnusers.com
This may seem lengthy, I got it from a website, I used this method and it worked fine.

http://www.****************/information/recommended_treatment.htm#top2

#1. Clean Your Fish's Home. Click on the underlined items in the list below for more details.
#2. Clean the Gravel. Fish Bowls should have a layer of gravel about 1/4 inch thick, but aquariums with an external power filter with a BIO-Wheel do not need gravel. In an aquarium with a BIO-Wheel the gravel is just ornamental. The fish don't need the gravel. If you do have gravel, make sure it's at most 1/4 inch thick. Click on one of the underlined items listed below to read more about how to clean gravel
#3. Change Some Water. Remove and replace some of the water in your fish's home. Click on the underlined items in the list below for the details. Repeat water changes every day until the fish are no longer showing Sign of Stress or Disease. Remember don't change more than 20% of the water in one day. Click here for more information on measuring and calculating the volume of your aquarium.
#4. Add Quick Cure. The dosage on the package is 1 drop of Quick Cure for each gallon of aquarium water or 1 drop per two gallons for Tetra Fish. Elsewhere we've read advice to use only a half dose on delicate fish such as Clown Loaches and Elephant Noses, but we've found it's safe to use a full dose on these fish. Your results may vary. Repeat adding Quick Cure once every day until the Signs of Stress and Disease are gone
#5. Add Aquarium Salt. The dose recommended on the package label is one Tablespoon of Aquarium Salt per five gallons of aquarium water. So, for example, a 10-gallon aquarium gets 2 Tablespoons of Aquarium Salt. Do not repeat the salt and do not use iodized table salt. Aquarium Salt is available in many stores including Wal-Mart. Click here for more information on measuring and calculating the volume of your aquarium
#6. Increase the Temperature of the water. If the fish you're treating are in a warm water aquarium with an aquarium heater, carefully increase the temperature of the water by 4 degrees to a maximum of 82 degrees F. Click here for information on how to adjust your heater.

I also added added super ich plus and learned the hard way that it discolors any decor it touches.

Good Luck !!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store