White Film on Fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jopeir

Registered Member
Jan 13, 2020
I just did a full water change in my tank to clean out an extremely persistent form of of brown algae. Now two of my goldfish are covered in a thin white film, and they seem a bit less energetic than usual. My other two goldfish and my pleco are behaving like normal. I’ve done full changes before without any problem after, and I treated the water before I put them in. I tested the water and everything came back normal.

I used Algaefix from API to get rid of any remaining brown algae, could this film be because the algae had infected them as well?

If anyone has any insight or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated!

BEBE9BF1-06D8-4FEB-ADD2-4EC99E72C625.jpeg

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Do you have readings in PPM for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?

I'd skip any chemical adds to address algae problems. Usually reducing the amount of lights on time on the tank will stop it.

In regards to a film or slime layer on the fish, my oscar and severum will get kind of a film on them as I'm refilling their tank after their weekly fin-level water change. I use seachem prime or safe for a dechlor. It sheds off quickly as they zip around the tank upon refill.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store