White spots on Angelfish's pectoral fins and now torn on one fin HELP

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kmbishop111

AC Members
Nov 12, 2018
Arkansas
Real Name
Kris
Freshwater Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 36 G
How long has the tank been running? 9 months
Does it have a filter? AcquaClear 70
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 79

Stocking
Gold Angelfish, Pearl Gourami, 2 Bolivian Rams, 7 Panda Cory Cats, 5 Harlequin Rasboras, 6 Mystery Snails, 1 Nerite Snail

MY ALTHEA

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Twice weekly
How much of the water do you change? 25 - 30 %
What do you use to treat your water? Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Sand substrate, skim debri off the top

Parameters
API Master Test Kit

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:20
pH:7.6

(Note: When switching filters last month went thru a mini-cycle)

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Daily
How much do you feed your fish? As much as they eat in 2 mins
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Omega One Flakes, Omega One Tubiflex, Fluval Bug Bites Tropical, Algae Wafers, Omega One Shrimp Pellets
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Frozen Bloodworms and Mysis Shrimp

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 9 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
Noticed 3 spots a few months ago on one pectoral fin which looked like fractures, then 2 spots on other pectoral fin recently, 2 days ago tear in left pectoral fin and spot on dorsal fin. I have recently added rocks (Dragons stone) and 2 new pieces of driftwood which she may have rubbed up against. She likes to try to fit in the tightest of spots. No fin nippers and no one else is symptomatic in tank.

Has been rubbing against plants. (Have a low tech planted tank.) Also run a UV filter.

Have you started any treatment for the illness? No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No

Also she is about palm sized, very stressful netting her. I had a seasoned fish keeper suggest methylene blue baths. I've not
attempted this yet.
Any help GREATLY appreciated. Tomorrow is my day off work and will be able to make a trip to closest store that might have meds needed otherwise will order online. TIA!!

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
A torn fin is not an issue.
So she had these spots for months without having problems? It could be a virus like Lymphocystis. It is not dangerous, depending on genetic strength and stress these white spots may come and go on fins. I would not net her unless you (or a vet..) are planning to scrape off a spot to have it examined under a microscope or send it in to check for bacteria. Get some Herbtana and Artemiss for your cabinet. You can use these products without affecting the bio filter and snails if something comes up, also Artemiss can be used to speed up healing fins and scratches (though it isn't necessary it will also heal on its own)
Didn't she have some health issues a couple of months ago, how did that go?

Kmbishop111

AC Members
Nov 12, 2018
Arkansas
Real Name
Kris
Once again, you"re the only one in 2 forums and a FB group that is talking sensibly. Ha. Yes, she had some red streaking close to her eye. I was having problems w nitrates and a high pH. Have both under control now.

Shes just a very sensitive soul, bless her. The thought of netting her just makes me cringe as I know in my heart the stress far outweighs any good that could come of that. (Unless like you said, a scraping was in order to look at under microscope) However that isn't plausible in my area so were going to be making those purchases you have once again suggested.

You rock sir.

Reactions: the loach

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
You're welcome ! You are right, color/fin varieties such as gold angelfish are more sensitive. If I remember correctly you also decreased the pH from 8,something?
There are no anti viral products. Althea would benefit from decreasing it further down to 7,2. Do it slowly over a number of days. She will feel better in less alkaline water and this might cause her immune system to ward off the virus. If it does there will be less and smaller spots in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kmbishop111
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store