WILL MY DWARF FROG EAT MY BABY BETTA

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
The only thing that can live in a 1 gallon tank is shrimp or like 1 Pygmy sun fish African frogs are social and need at least 10 gallons and a betta needs at very Least 2.5 with 5 being better and does your room constantly get over 78 degrees, bettas and dwarf frogs both live in warm waters if I were You I would just use that 1 gallon as practice to keep plants alive then buy a 10 gallon tank. I would advice you to not do bettas as a beginner fish even though tey are hardy they can have problems from inbreeding and ones from breeders are super expensive. A nice planted 10 gallon lighted by sun for the plants or a led floodlight and maybe some diy co2 with maybe like guppies or something is very low maintenance and all you have to do is water change and feed. Get a bottle of seachem prime and some bottled bacteria to cycle your tank ime it’s better to add fish in like the 1st 2 weeks and slowly ramp up the stock and just let your tank get established because waiting 6 weeks is just a waste of time.the frog is going to eat the betta most likely and doing a baby doesn’t change anything. Females are somewhat Less aggressive I would return the betta and the frog and wait and do lots of research before you keep fish.
NO! Just no. Stop giving "advice"! You don't know what you're talking about!

What should I put in my 1 gallon mulm compost bin aquatic I was thinking of some isopods
What does this have to do with dwarf frogs and bettas? NOTHING!

I am very new to aquatics and as stupid as it may seem to some of you I am still grieving over my first betta who died of stress. When he died my mom convinced me to try again and whilst looking for other bettas I came across the African dwarf frogs. When asking different employees from different stores who specialized in aquatics they all said that keeping an African dwarf frog and betta together in a 1 gallon tank (I plan on upgrading eventually I know bettas need more space) wasn't recommended but that I was welcome to try and that it wasn't a doomed idea. Just to supervise the introduction to make sure the betta didn't attack the frog. They also recommend I get a girl so they'd be less aggressive. So, now I have both the frog and the betta but still in separate containers. I got a baby betta girl and she is very small. And despite both multiple store employees telling me, and doing some research saying they should get along fine, and to worry more about the betta's agression, something kept telling me I should be worrying about my baby betta's safety more. On this website finally I got a different message. I read that people saw their dwarf frogs eating guppies and grabbing other small fish in their tank and biting the head off. I am very emotional just thinking about this possibly happening. I don't think I could handle another pet's death. Being eaten no less. I know this may sound stupid to some of you but this betta is my new baby, one I promised to take better care of then the last. One who I took in trying to honor my last betta. I still feel guilty for stressing my last fish out and killing him. I was very hesitant to get another one and if I got her eaten alive because I was selfish and wanted to hoard more animals I don't think I could take it my mental health would really really plummet and i just can't take the risk if this is a possibility so someone please help me out is this even safe to try?
Hello mothmorriane, welcome to AC!

Any betta that you buy from a retailer should be too large for your African dwarf frogs (ADF) to eat. An African clawed frog (ACF) is another matter, however, as the can reach 5" in length. As long as the betta is too big to fit in the ADF's mouth you should be okay. To give you a reference, let's just say at least 1/2". ACFs are predators and will try to eat anything that can fit in their mouths. BTW, baby guppies are less than a 1/4" long and elongated. Just about anything will eat a baby guppy.

You already know you need a larger tank. I would do so as soon as reasonably possible. ADFs do well in groups so something large enough to fit several frogs into would be good.

WYite

WYite

Reactions: Sprinkle

Mothmorrianne

Registered Member
Apr 17, 2021
I'm still really embarrassed but can you educate me about all that other water quality stuff and cycles or whatever? I really am in over my head but I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing for the sake of the animals. And I also wanted to ask if maybe the frog(s)/betta might be okay in a 20 gallon tank? I found one I could afford but should I still keep them separated?

NoahLikesFish

AC Members
Dec 1, 2020
Indiana
Real Name
Noah
If I were you I would just take a step back and return them. Make a proper plan of what to do then slowly start to make an aquarium while doing lots of research

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Well, me myself wouldnt put the betta with the frogs. im glad you would put the frogs in a bigger tank but they are air breathers and they will come up for air, I have heard several sources say they need a low tank, as in the 10 gallon, so they dont struggle to swim up and up to get a gulp of air. You could get the 20 gallon, and if you really want to get something else besides your little girl, you could get guppies, they are fancy, colourful and crazy. If you want you can get both genders but they are called million fish for a reason, so you better get 2-3 females per male or get only males. I would recommend you getting the guppies first and putting them in first as well and leaving them in the tank for a while and then put in the betta so she doesnt think later on shes the Queen of the whole tank and chase them around.
As for cycling, Im not an expert in explaining it but there are bacteria called Nitrosomas and these convert ammonia (produced by fishes respiration and waste as well as rotting food etc) into nitrite, both NH3 and NO2 are toxic, which then nitrite (NO2) is being converted, by a different kind of bacteria, into nitrate (NO3). Being it, all three are toxic and/or deadly to fish where nitrate being toxic only above 20ppm and IF fish are exposed to it long term, it can be deadly or will have an impact on their reproductive organs. Also, pH of the water the fish are in plays a huge part on how toxic the ammonia is the higher the pH is the more tocic ammonia is. Ammonia can cause poisoning in fish as much as nitrite can, these usually are deadly to fish, and NH3 will cause a decrease in O2 in H2 and will cause the fish to gasp on water surface or cause them to have pink/red ish gills.
There are two types of cycling your tank, fish in and fishless. What to expect, fish less cycle is without fish in the tank, you either add pure ammonia (like Dr Tims one) or fish flakes in and leave them to rot there and release ammonia for bacteria to feast on and you check water for ammonia and nitrite only, daily, until you see both on 0ppm daily without crashing with a sudden rise in nitrates and then after fish less cycle you put the fish in so the cycle doesnt stall or crash. Fish in cycle is when you cycle your tank with fish in the tank, you do water changes of 40-50% daily or every two days with testing for ammonia and nitrite daily, until you see them both on 0ppm daily without crashing with a sudden rise in nitrates.

When there is a lack of oxygen or ammonia source in water, bacteria go dormant which doesnt mean you still have them, individuals will die off.

Reactions: FishAddict74
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store