Would this work as a CO2 "Reactor"

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Molino

Alien or ugly Fish?
Oct 1, 2002
Alberta, Canada
members.shaw.ca
If I attach the tube releasing CO2 into the filter intake on my Aquaclear will it work well for dissolving the CO2?

I know there are a number of other ways to do it, but this would keep the cluter inside the tank to a minimum.

static69static

AC Members
Dec 4, 2002
www.angelfire.com
Yes it will work, I used to do that on my Penguin Mini, but I stopped doing it because when the bubble went up into the intake made bubbling noise, and since I have it in my bedroom, didn't like it. I have also heard that on some filters it is bad cause air can get caught and cause the filter to malfunction. You might want to check into the aquaclear, but hopefully someone will post about it.

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
I've used it with my AC 200 and with my AC 300s and was very happy with the results, although it's not the most efficient way to inject. It does a nice job though. You can get away from the "bubble noise" by putting one of those disposable air 'stones' on the end of your feeder tube, inside your uptake tube of your AquaClear. It feeds the CO2 into the impeller of the filter in much smaller bubbles than just inserting the air tube into the uptake and is for all intents and purposes silent. Also helps in saturation of the water with CO2. The reason I suggest the disposable stones is that the regular airstones tend to crumble when used with CO2 and the others don't. Get the ones that are marked "fine bubbles" rather than "coarse bubbles".
Len
One other thing.....I've seen no ill effects to the filter from injecting CO2 through it.

Molino

Alien or ugly Fish?
Oct 1, 2002
Alberta, Canada
members.shaw.ca
Thanks for the replies. I'll give it a try and if I find it's too noisy look into getting a disposable air stone. The tank isn't in my room though so a little noise won't be a problem.

BluEyes

AC Members
Jan 5, 2003
Idaho
www.geocities.com
if you're up for a little DIY work, take a look at my website (it should be in my profile) I have pics of my DIY countercurrent reactor that is hanging off my aquaclear. very effecient, traps all the CO2 and dissolves it. It's also powered my a seperate pump, so I can shut it off at night...

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by Molino
If I attach the tube releasing CO2 into the filter intake on my Aquaclear will it work well for dissolving the CO2?
Not really... You will be 'gassing - off', or wasting your CO2. That is why I'm not using AquaClear HOB filters anymore. AquaClear filters are good products, but what you need for planted tanks is to keep surface agitation to the minimum. Canister filters are real good for this. Canisters, in my opinion, are the best at keeping CO2 in the tank where it belongs. This filtration is a "closed type" system. The best way to diffuse the CO2 is with a power reactor. Anytime, or any set-up where you can see tiny CO2 bubbles rising to the surface is wasted CO2. Some may be useful, while some is also wasted...

spankey

AC Members
Dec 21, 2001
Boyertown, PA
I second Joe's opinion. I used to inject into my HOB Penguin 330 and then tried the power reactor. I didn't have a strong enough powerhead for the reactor (AC 201 powerhead) So I inject into my magnum canister now. I do not see a single bubble coming out of the outlet of the canister. So it must be difusing. The water level drops about an inch in the canister but not further than that. So it must be working. My plants pearl all day while the lights are on, so I'd say it works...;)

I inject into my son's penguin mini on his 15 gallon planted tank and it works for what its worth. If you can, invest in a canister if you ever are looking for a filtration upgrade...

Spankey..

Molino

Alien or ugly Fish?
Oct 1, 2002
Alberta, Canada
members.shaw.ca
Thanks again, that makes a lot of sense, but this is for a 20 gallon tank. Aren't canister filters made mainly for larger tanks and usually somewhat pricey?

If I'm wrong and there are canister filters for small tanks then that might be a great option for me. I'll have to do some research.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Yes, there are canisters for smaller tanks..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store