wow just stumbled upon this from live aquaria

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania

lilim10

AC Members
Aug 7, 2008
Chicago
Real Name
June
Whoa...octopus are really hard to keep I hear.

paperdragon

AC Members
Mar 7, 2008
Well, it does list the experience level required as "expert".

I've always thought octopuses (sounds better than octopi to me :p) were a bit on the creepy side.

SchizotypalVamp

The REAL AC Mafia
Mar 18, 2008
California
Starting at 60 plus ship, I doubt the beginner would eye them up. Liveaquaria is known to most of us through our involvement in the hobby and not as a common household name, so it is doubtful there will be an influx of buyers, unlike if petsmart/co/etc started selling them. I don't think people should be banned from buying octopuses. JMO, though.

Last edited:

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com

antimatter

AC Members
Aug 2, 2007
I personally really don't see a problem with people keeping them. Yeah they are hard to keep, but so are pipefish, seahorses, and a lot of sps coral. Of course people buying them and not properly taking care of them is bad, but it happens all the time with just about every type of aquarium fish.

this spells disaster for the creatures,and the ecosystem, most people arn't diligent enough to keep these poor critters
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=497+500
I really don't see how it is a disaster for the ecosystem. Not nearly enough people keep them. More common aquarium fish are collect at much higher levels from the wild than octos over will be.

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
At least it does state "Expert only" and min tank size 125gals

QUICK STATS Minimum Tank Size: 125 gallons Care Level: Expert Only Temperament: Aggressive Reef Compatible: No Water Conditions: 72-78° F, sg 1.023-1.025, pH 8.1-8.4, dKH 8-12 Max. Size: 3' Color Form: Green, Tan, White Diet: Carnivore Origin: Caribbean, Indo-Pacific Family: Octopodidae Reproduction: Egg Layer Swim Level: Bottom

I know that would have put me off when I was a beginner.

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
I really don't see how it is a disaster for the ecosystem. Not nearly enough people keep them. More common aquarium fish are collect at much higher levels from the wild than octos over will be.
now that there is an easy stay at home place to buy them, the numbers will go up just like the fad of piranhas. every one had to have them ,
besides these creature are truely intelligent, and shouldn't be in the hands of uncaring, and unknowing people, somewhat like pacu are,.. there are people that want to care for them, anything we as humans keep have the potential of not being cared for correctly, even horses, and dogs,..i just think some of these creatures should be more difficult to get as to protect them from every tom, ****, and harriet... but i feel that way about most animals, and inverts, and reptiles, and fish...
just my own opinion.......

antimatter

AC Members
Aug 2, 2007
I completely agree that every pet should be taken care of correctly, but look how bad goldfish and betas are taken care of by some people. Does that mean we should all be punished and not allowed to keep them?

Lately the new craze has been clownfish. They are getting collected from the wild and sold to people who want a "Nemo" with a "dori" and they put them in a fish bowl.
I was at petco and someone bought a maroon clownfish and AFTER they bought it they ask "so I just take some table salt and put that in the water before the fish?"

My point is that unfortunatley this happens all the time in our hobby. Just because it does, doesn't mean we shouldn't be allowed to buy them. There are aquarist who have the skill to keep an octo. Where would we draw the line. First octos, then seahorses, than corals, then salt water fish......

I get where you are coming from though. I can hardly watch an episode of animal cops without getting choked up lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store