Yahoo....Julies are spawning!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
I had so much trouble getting a group of 6 julie cats (false julies actually) to live from Petco, I had almost given up. Petco was also losing them by the tankful! I've had 2 for several months and wanted 4 more. So glad I hung in there! I finally got 4 more to thrive, they've grown tremendously in only seems like 2-3 months. And today while I was home, I spied spawning activity. Now I know I have two females and 4 males and both females are spawning at the same time, so there is a flurry of activity in that tank. I'm just successfully raising part of an albino cory spawn for the first time, which I will give away. But I somehow have to get some julie eggs next time they spawn and hatch them. Those I want to keep!! They are in my planted 72G discus tank so....it will be a challenge to get eggs out of there. I'd be afraid if I took the cories out and put them in a different tank, the change would stop the spawning activity. My albinos have spawned (2F, 4M also, but only 1 female is the spawner) regularly 4 times in a row now. They are in my bristlenose tank. I am looking forward to another fishie adventure soon!:grinyes:

jaysen

i eat rats like you for breakfast!
Oct 10, 2007
long island, NY
www.myspace.com
how do the eggs look? i posted pics of eggs i found in my tank in general freshwater. my false julies have been hanging out a lot but i dont know if the eggs are theirs.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Jay - I just took a look at your thread and pictures. Light green ..... not cory eggs. Maybe one of the other tetras? Cory eggs are sort of the color of a plastic container like a gladware container you store food in. And not in clumps. They scatter them around, some on plant leaves, some on glass, some on filters....but each egg is indidivual, no clumps. I was just watching one of my female julies and it will be all but impossible to get eggs out of that tank. She is putting them one by one on a leaf here, and a leaf there..... not like the albinos. The albino female carries a big bunch and lets the whole bunch go in one spot, then another batch of eggs comes down and she goes and finds another spot for them. One by one by one....could she make it any harder for me?? This tank is a deep tank, might as well put my wet suit on to pursue any egg gathering!

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Cool! Keep me posted! And good luck!

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!!!

jaysen

i eat rats like you for breakfast!
Oct 10, 2007
long island, NY
www.myspace.com
lol thanks
i need your success secrets to breeding cories. though if mine are breeding i would never know. i have so many egg hungry fish. the red eyes ate all my baby platies. even livebearers have no chance.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store