ya'll makin my want goldfish grrrrrrr

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sevast0

AC Members
Jul 11, 2009
New Jersey
All things considered, I am sticking to my guns in this particular case. I didn't mean to suggest they weren't worth the time, just considering the OP's situation and original question. I love goldfish-- too much, if you get my drift.
I didn't mean to say that you don't think they are worth the time. I think most people who even have goldfish have to love them because if they didn't they wouldn't have bought them their bigger tank!

My family knows I love mine too much as well. I started out with 5 goldfish in a ten gallon and after all but one died and I found out why I bought a much bigger tank, and I'm looking to upgrade again!

Jill-O

All American Girl (all grown up)
... I think most people who even have goldfish have to love them because if they didn't they wouldn't have bought them their bigger tank!
They're just tooooo cute and clumsy not to love

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
I don't understand where this idea that Goldfish require more care than other fish comes from. They are just a larger fish and need more space. Once you get a good setup they are really easy to care for. Drop food in twice a day, use a python to do a water change weekly (80% for me), and clean the filters every 3 weeks. If you get algae just turn off the lights until it dies. Really low stress and only 2-3 hours of work a month.

Now my planted tanks need constant care. Pruning, fertilizing, cleaning up old and dead leaves and balancing out the algae all take a lot more effort in my opinion. Toss in the guppies having babies in there and I'm messing with the three tanks for 1/2 hour a day.

The only key with goldfish is tank size - big tanks only PLEASE. I'm talking 70+ gallons big. No goldfish should have to live alone. They are so much more active in groups.

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
I think, The V, that the idea comes from the fact that they are carp, and if you have a planted tank, you are constantly cleaning up debris that they dig up when bottom rooting. I can say that my cory tank seems to have much less detrius and waste for the size than my goldfish tanks, given the same level of filtration and the fact that they, too, are bottom rooters. Just a personal observation.

Jill-O

All American Girl (all grown up)
I'm just loving how many goldfish people there are here!!! It's nice to see so many others appreciate them :) :) :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store