Yet another 10 gallon question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Puffernewbee

AC Members
Dec 9, 2004
Katy, TX
I have a single Figure 8 in a 10 gallon. As long as you limit the quantity and size (adult size) of the fish to a safe limit for a 10 Gallon you will not have problems. Problems are when you buy 2 small angels and commom pleco for a 10 gallon. They fit today but not for long.

thekid55

just a kid who reads alot
Sep 3, 2005
atlanta, GA
Emg said:
This is a divided betta tank. I made the dividers myself from plastic canvas and binder clips. It has live plants and a sponge filter on one end...penguin biowheel on the other and a few cave type decorations....also, some flourite under the stones for the plants...the plants are some crypts, water sprite and java moss....the lighting is an incandescent strip with screw in flourescent bulbs...20watts, 6700K in all....

wat materails did you use again and how did you do it that is one of the coolest ideas ive ever seen

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
mvigor said:
By the way EMG...when you post pictures that big it's hell from a dialup connection. If you can, posting thumbnail images linked to a larger version is much better for some of us.

Sorry Vigor......I'll try to remember to do that...I haven't had dial up in so long I've forgotten what a pain it is to have to sit and wait for a page to load ! :eek:

You know, I saw a post that did that with the thumbnail link....can you tell me how to do that ? It is a good idea....I just don't know how to make a "picture" link...

Here's a link to the site where I got the idea for the divided betta tank...
http://www.mushi.petfish.net/diydividers.html

OOP...never mind...lol....I figured it out ! Thanks for the heads up Vigor ! :clap:

Last edited:

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Stay away from almost all cichlids (the few exceptions have been mentioned), pretty much any commonly found pleco or algae eating fish except for ottos, anything called a shark, and goldfish. There are still so many possibilities. Many of the tetras stay nice and small, white clouds, dwarf gouramis. Look into chocolate dwarf gouramis, they are different than regualr gouramis and do well in groups and are just really pretty fish. And of course a betta or paradise fish is a good idea as well.

Larissa

Katherine Hope
Jun 9, 2005
brenham, tx
Sparkling gouramies are really pretty, or you could do dwarf puffers.

Beeker

Aquariaholic
Oct 8, 2004
TKOS is giving great advice by stating a little known fact: Goldfish are not for 10 gal. tanks! They are the white elephant of the fish! They are cute and small when you first get them and they grow and grow until you realize that you can only keep 2 goldfish in a 50 gal tank! Forget it! Unless you have a 300 gal. tank for 7-10 goldfish. Stay away from those adorable, loveable fish! That is how I found this place, by trying to get advice on my babies that I brought home in a little jelly jar, and now are almost as big as my dog, like to suck my thumb, and are in an overstocked 75 gal. tank! :OT:
Sorry, I was intending to say that you should stock according to the size they will be when they are adults. They will not only grow to fit the tank. And, to help you pick your plants check out Plantgeek
You can pick your plants according to difficulty. In my 10 gal., I have Wisteria, Anubias barteri, Anubias nana, Anachris, and Java Fern. All easy plants.

Somadis120

Registered Member
Oct 15, 2005
thekid55 said:
wat materails did you use again and how did you do it that is one of the coolest ideas ive ever seen
I totally agree with you. This gentemen influenced me to do this :)

I will have some guppies on the left and maybe three algie eater on the left and a super bright and colorful betta on the right :)
Sorry about the picture quality. I took this at night with my Motorolla V600.

Thanks all for your wonderful comment. I have come to the decision of growing plants in my tank. However I need to know what kind of algie eating fish I should get? One of the local fish store have a chinese algie eating fish but I was told that went they grow to adult size they will the plants and becomes a lil agressive. If you happend to know a website that has information and facts about fish please fill me in.
Once again, thank you all for all your help.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store