Your Co2 Set up

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mcox3

Veritas Aequitas
Dec 26, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Okay, i'm contemplating setting up some DIY Co2 in my 55g angel tank. I've been doing some research and I'm getting the basics, but i'd like to see some examples before i venture into the world of Co2.

I understand that Co2 will affect the PH of the water, but my water is very hard and has a high PH. Will hard water minimize the fluctuation of the PH?

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL
I agree with mgamer. The long term cost of yeast and sugar on a 55g tank is going to overcome the initial cost of a pressurized system.

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
From what I've read, past 29/30 gallons pressurized is the way to go. aquariumplants.com and weldingsupply.com have the most inexpensive 5# and 10# cylinders. There's a lot of regulators out there, but dollar for dollar nothing comes close to Rex's. I did a lot of homework before I bought mine.

10# cylinders initially cost about $30 more than 5#, but they only cost around $3 more to fill, so if you're looking at doing multiple planted tanks it's the way to go.

I'm leaning towards Rex's DIY reactor, but still researching how all the different reactors work so I understand if and why it would be the better choice.

Rex's Best regular comes with a bubble counter and Ideal needle valve that doesn't require a Low Pressure Regulator ahead of it like the other valves do.

I have no clue about CO2 drop thingees, but I want to learn.

mcox3

Veritas Aequitas
Dec 26, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
okay, i'll look into a pressurized system...

will having hard water reduce the fluc. of PH?

UCF-Planted

AC Members
Apr 20, 2007
Orlando, FL
There is quite a bit of discussion that pH fluctuations caused by CO2 don't matter to the fish anyways, what will matter is the CO2 levels themselves to the plants. I've already started to feel the bite from the cost of sugar / time spent prepping to keep my DIY running on my 10 gallon.

mcox3

Veritas Aequitas
Dec 26, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
There is quite a bit of discussion that pH fluctuations caused by CO2 don't matter to the fish anyways.
i'm referring to the "PH CRASH" that i've read about...

also, how do you regulate/measure how much Co2 goes into a 55g tank?

UCF-Planted

AC Members
Apr 20, 2007
Orlando, FL
right, hard water does protect against pH crashes, as long as you don't add chemical pH adjusters. You determine how much CO2 you have based on the pH of the water and the kH of your water. http://www.rexgrigg.com/co2.pdf

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store