YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

inkyjenn

AC Members
Jun 15, 2008
southern california
so glad to hear your fish made it! i have 6 tanks set up in my living room right now *nervous quiver*

NYCguppydude

Guppy Addict
Dec 14, 2008
NYC,NY,10034
wildguppystore.com
Real Name
Andy G.
Oh My GOSH! How could something like this happen? You would imagine this would be a very rare occurrence, but several people on this thread seem to have experienced a similar issue in their lives. I can't imagine that a rock tipping forward would cause this glass to break. Was it a thinner glass? What brand was your aquarium?
People we are talking about rocks and glass here.
I wouldn't even let a pea-sized pebble fall a few inches in my tanks. I always carefully place them in their spots.

nynikki

"Would you like to play a game?"
Aug 7, 2007
Phoenix
People we are talking about rocks and glass here.
I wouldn't even let a pea-sized pebble fall a few inches in my tanks. I always carefully place them in their spots.

As did I, and I'm sure everyone else here has too. But this sounds like something unexpectedly fell while there was no one near the tank. Though there is a mention of a cat along the thread, I'm not sure if the cat had a paw in this disaster.

In my tank I have live rock stacked about 17" high, while they seem stable now, I suppose gravity could win.

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
Don't think it was a rock in the tank because only one rock was really moved, and that one was no way going to fall over, it was right on the bottom. The cats may have knocked something over from the outside, all evidence washed away in the flood.

Oh well, on to better things. Multiple tanks is good, having water pre mixed is a must for any aquarist.

Plec123

AC Members
Sep 12, 2009
that sucks that the tank broke.....
thanks for posting a pic though. ive never really been able to picture what it looks like when a tank gets smashed and water is all ovre the floor.

JUICY JAYNE

AC Members
Sep 15, 2009
YOU POOR POOR THING, GOOD JOB YOU HAD ANOTHER TANK, I THINK IT EVERYONES NIGHTMARE I HAVE A 600LITRE IN MY LOUNGE! FINGERS CROSSED

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
Well tanks for all the kind words :D Since the break up I have been quite busy. Most recent, a new job I absolutely love. Unfortunately, this does take me away from my tanks.

But as an update, I did cheezy repair on the 225, and will turn it into a terrarium/aquarium. What I did was take some 3/8 glass and glued it to the broken glass front, on the inside of the tank. Then I spun the tank around. I will build a partition to keep water/pond on the new front side, leaving the back wall to build cliffs and planted terrarium. It will take a little time but the decision was made after I got another tank, a 125, which is like a perfect size for me and my fish.

BTW, fish are all fine and are much appreciated after the emotional ups and downs.
So here it what it looks like so far. The drilled bottom holes are now in the front, which does create some interesting design challenges.

DSC04868.JPG DSC04867.JPG DSC04871.JPG DSC04870.JPG

hux

AC Members
Oct 8, 2009
ah that sucks...
i have this happen in my bedroom at midnight!!!
only difference was that this tank was 2 weeks old...
and was only 60 litres!!

i couldnt imagine what yours would have been like.

goodluck with it all

OhioOilMan

AC Members
Mar 1, 2008
Portsmouth Ohio
Real Name
Ryan Lore
OMG!! all I can say is OMG!! I sure wish the best of luck to you and remember not to give up !

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store