YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ayra321

}((((*>
Jul 28, 2009
florida
poor you,cleanup is gonna be a pain,but hey ricky is back and you still have your first sw fish and others.(i think sometimes it is better to look on the bright side instead,it makes a disaster seem less disastery) i wish you luck with your fish and i hope it all turns out okay!!!

nynikki

"Would you like to play a game?"
Aug 7, 2007
Phoenix
Oh My GOSH! How could something like this happen? You would imagine this would be a very rare occurrence, but several people on this thread seem to have experienced a similar issue in their lives. I can't imagine that a rock tipping forward would cause this glass to break. Was it a thinner glass? What brand was your aquarium?

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
Here is a pic of ricky and Lucy in their new home. They have a few friends now, and the Velvet Damsels are different tanks at the moment. They will stay separated, as I believe I may try a few corals now.

I may fix the 225, did some checking, and I can take the bottom and use it for the back, cut the other three sides down, and make a floating bottom for the tank. It would cut the tank to just around 200 gallons, and would not be as deep by 6 inches. Just alot of work right now, and not a priority.

ricky-lucy-new-home.jpg

tekonus

...meh?
Nov 20, 2008
Long Island, NY
This is part of the reason I hate cats... they tend to destroy things. The rest of the reason is that I'm horribly allergic to them lol. I can't stay over my girlfriends house with her 1 cat more than a few hours before I feel like my head is going to explode.

clawlan

Don't harass the sea turtles!
Dec 29, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Oh My GOSH! How could something like this happen? You would imagine this would be a very rare occurrence, but several people on this thread seem to have experienced a similar issue in their lives. I can't imagine that a rock tipping forward would cause this glass to break. Was it a thinner glass? What brand was your aquarium?
My girlfriend said the same thing when i showed her this thread. She seems to think that under water, the rocks don't weigh enough to cause catastrophic failure. I tried to explain thats not the case but couldn't really back up my explanation with any science...

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
I think this is a lesson to everyone that you should have at LEAST a spare ten gallon set up at all times! Even if all it contains are a few chunks of LR, or if it is a FW tank, a handful of snails. I have had to do the "grab and toss" acclimation method before, but having more than one tank has certainly saved me some grief.

Kristina

tonergirl

AC Members
Sep 22, 2008
WOW, that really is the worst nightmare, to wake up to!! Thank God you were up to the task, though! I'm sure, your quick thinking saved every one of your beautiful fish!! Good job!!:y220e::y220e::y220e:

nynikki

"Would you like to play a game?"
Aug 7, 2007
Phoenix
My girlfriend said the same thing when i showed her this thread. She seems to think that under water, the rocks don't weigh enough to cause catastrophic failure. I tried to explain thats not the case but couldn't really back up my explanation with any science...

So really this could happen from a 5 lb rock just tipping forward and hitting the glass? As I look over at the rock I now have stacked to the top of the tank and wonder if that's just a really bad idea...? It's stacked as a back drop in a tall tank.

OgreMkV

Father of Earth's Next Emperor
Apr 26, 2007
Port Arthur, TX
ogremkv.wordpress.com
So really this could happen from a 5 lb rock just tipping forward and hitting the glass? As I look over at the rock I now have stacked to the top of the tank and wonder if that's just a really bad idea...? It's stacked as a back drop in a tall tank.

It's all about the energy. No a 5lb rock doesn't have that much energy when it falls a few inches in water. BUT, if all that energy is concentrated on one small point (say a sharp point on the rock) that does hit the glass, then you can get this. If the same rock fell and hit a large flat surface in the sand, then all the energy is spread out over a large area and nothing much happens.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store