Zebra danios have prolapse?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

babydogoscar

Registered Member
Aug 14, 2020
Well I have six zebra danios and one had a red thing sticking out of its butt, the last few days my zebra danios have been heavily bloated/filled with eggs I’m not sure. I have put the danio with the red thing in its own tank, the red thing has gone back inside. I was inspecting my other danios and some of them have the tip of a red thing sticking out, not very noticeable but it’s there. What do I do?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Uh oh! It sounds like camallanus worms. You will need to treat all your fish with a worming med like flubendazole (not fenbenazole) or levamisole. Read the label to see it it actually says it will kill those, not all worming meds do, & follow the dosing instructions. It's very hard to treat successfully & you'll need to redose at least once. Good luck!

Reactions: babydogoscar

babydogoscar

Registered Member
Aug 14, 2020
Uh oh! It sounds like camallanus worms. You will need to treat all your fish with a worming med like flubendazole (not fenbenazole) or levamisole. Read the label to see it it actually says it will kill those, not all worming meds do, & follow the dosing instructions. It's very hard to treat successfully & you'll need to redose at least once. Good luck!
Oh no because I’m only 15 and struggling for money..is there anything cheaper I could do? I understand if not and thank you for the help

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Sprinkle is in the UK, I'm in the US, that will decide what meds you can get & what they're called.

I understand being young & poor. I was trying not to be too awfully negative but the only time I had camallanus (in 40+ years) I lost 5 of 6 fish even with meds, special gobies that made it worse...But this WILL kill your fish without meds. Now, the insensitive pragmatist in me says the cost of new healthy fish (eventually, after lots of hard work to rid your tanks of this terrible plague) will be less than the treatment costs... & that's iffy at best. The humane fishkeeper in me says do the best you can, but don't wait.

No, there isn't a cheap & effective treatment. I wish there was.

This is very hard for me to be so blunt (tearing up, :( sniff). But if you choose not to treat your fish you will have to tear down & really disinfect your main tank & the quarantine tank too... & then start over with cycling etc...but you may have to do that anyway...A very difficult choice for you. I'm very sorry, there are no good answers.

Reactions: Sprinkle

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
As usual, good info TTA! I'm doubtful a 15 yo can actually afford even inkmkr's prices, she sounds...unable right now. Hard times for all of us these days.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
I understand that money and young people can be an issue. It makes this hobby hard at times. I am one of those folks who will spend $50 to try and save a $2 fish. But I can afford to do this. Unfortunately, some fish diseases/parasites can only be treated with an actual medication v.s. a remedy like heat and salt for ich.

But, I cannot believe that this is out of the question,
Fresh water use Levamisole HCl powder - serious treatment for Camallanus Nematode internal parasite infestation (see paper above) - 5 gram packet - $10.00 + postage treats 100 gallons of Fresh Water tank water.
We are talking about $12 here give or take a few cents. I would offer to pay for it but that would have to involve a parent as I am not going to ask a 15 year old for their shipping info. I do not want to know this. I am happy to have a parent order from Dr. H. and I would pay him the amount and the rest would be between them.

Many years back I learned that the fish we keep in our tanks all belong to a union. It has rules they all follow. Rule 7 A. ii. in the Illness and Accident section states: "If you are going to get sick, this should always be done on Friday evening." This rule used to say Saturday before online was possible. The purpose of the rule was to cause us the most angst possible as finding a needed med was the most difficult when a weekend was involved.

I also know that after seeing new eggs/wigglers/free-swimming fry in a tank, the next best feeling happens when you cure a sick fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store