Zephyranthes candidum

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LeonPez

AC Members
Feb 5, 2012
Eudora, Kansas
Real Name
Leon
About 3 weeks ago I was browsing a local pet shop and found a package of 3 bulbs called Water Onion in the aquarium plant area. The price was listed at $6.95. As I looked closer at the package it was identified as Zephyranthes candidum. Well I grow Z. candidum but not in the aquarium, I know the plant as rain lily. The plant does appreciate the roots to be very wet and will not bloom unless that condition is met. I went straight home and dug about 20 from a pot that I have been growing for 7-8 years, washed them off and stuck them into the aquarium. A few of the plants broke off just above the bulb but I planted them too. Now 3 weeks later the plants still look good. The topless bulbs have re-sprouted growth of about 6 inches. I am sure this plant is not normally growing submerged but I know a lot of plants the pet shops sell as aquarium plants are not strict aquatic plants.

Has anyone else tried this? Would anyone want to try this? I wouldn't mind trading 10 plants for a plant that I don't currently have. I would like to collect a few Anubias but currently only have a few (Nana, Hastifolia) or maybe for a Crinum or Aponogetin

Zcandidum.jpg.

Zcandidum.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store