Read this before using the inch/gallon "rule"

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

roliva

Dovii/Umbee Fanatic
Feb 23, 2004
Lehigh Valley, PA
That 'cubic' theory is very interesting. Although it may be a little difficult to estimate the cubic inch of fish since the geometry is not symmetric.

gonefishin

corn-eyed finless brown trout?
Sep 17, 2004
Lake Tahoe
I cut class the day they told us "the formula for the mass of a fish". I'd figure in my head 60-80ci for a healthy oscar of 14 inches which is about what you see here for recomended tank size. I'd love for someone to measure thier fish (using the displacement method) and find out for sure. I don't have any large fish to try it on(I think at least 10" long would be easier to get a good estamate). Fill a container FULL with water and put it in an empty, larger container. Put the test fish in the water then measure how much water spills out.

Last edited:

tpl*co

AC Members
May 25, 2004
Visit site
It definitely depends on the character of the fish too

My tetras seem to feel (the more the merrier) even when I think there may be too many, they seem very comfortable with the number (9 yellow tail congos, and 7 flame tetras). I had some (5) elreys before the flames but thought I had too many tetras and traded them. The congos seemed not as secure as before until I put in some flame tetras (seems like anything over 14 is a good number for them). I think tetras are like party animals at a New Year's eve party :D

Now some fish are more loners and want their elbow room :). I think it depends also how much maintanence you're willing to do too. More fish in a given space, more maintanence, more water changes to keep everything stable.

chocstrwberry

AC Members
Sep 14, 2004
Ok, people have told me that my tank is overstocked. But when I had less fish in my smaller tank(2 1/2 gallons) they were unhappy. If you do have neon tetras what is a good rule of thumb. I tried the link above, but being a newbie, it really confused me. This is what I have...1 small Africain Dwarf frog (about 3/4 of an inch), 1 placostamus About 1 1/2 in.,2 spotted cories about 1/2 in., 3 neon tetras,1 spotted tetra , 1 tetra of some kind (1/2 inch). Until I put the 2nd spotted cori and 2 more tetras in the tank, the tetras I had would nevr "light up",now they are always bright. They look as if they have plenty of room.

tpl*co

AC Members
May 25, 2004
Visit site
What size tank? and tetras go by their own rules

:p Tetras seem to be from a club of "the more the merrier" and actually are unhappy and languish if they don't have enough of their fellow tetras. I have yellow tail congos and had to get 9 of those, which was OK, but they became the happiest and showed off breeding behavior when I added 7 von rio tetras to the mix (seems that their magic number for mine is anything over 13 tetras). They only feel really comfortable and show off in a group and I've heard neons have to be at least a group of 6 minimum. Of course then you have to make sure you have tank space. My tank is pretty heavily stocked, but with routine maintance, water changes and lots of filtration, my water in the tank is fine :).

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
Ok, people have told me that my tank is overstocked. But when I had less fish in my smaller tank(2 1/2 gallons) they were unhappy. If you do have neon tetras what is a good rule of thumb. I tried the link above, but being a newbie, it really confused me. This is what I have...1 small Africain Dwarf frog (about 3/4 of an inch), 1 placostamus About 1 1/2 in.,2 spotted cories about 1/2 in., 3 neon tetras,1 spotted tetra , 1 tetra of some kind (1/2 inch). Until I put the 2nd spotted cori and 2 more tetras in the tank, the tetras I had would nevr "light up",now they are always bright. They look as if they have plenty of room
Tank size is important to whether your tank is overstocked or not. But, I do see one fish that will get too big for anything less than a 75g, and that's the pleco. Plecos can get over 18'' in length and should grow fast if given the proper conditions.

chocstrwberry

AC Members
Sep 14, 2004
I know that the pleco will get to big, I am going to give him away when it grows bigger. Since then I have upgraded to a 5.5 gallon tank. My mom has given my son more fish for the new tank. So we now have...

1 pleco
4 neon tetras
1 some kind of small freshwater shark 1 inch bigh with black fins
1 spotted tetra
3 spotted cory
2 yellow clawed crabs
2 Africian dwarf frogs
3 small striped fish long and skinny?about 1/4 in big

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com