1 HR from now...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

shawnhu

AC Members
Oct 31, 2008
New York City
There's this one little one, brave as heck! He comes out of the school and eats, when the others don't. There's 10 of them in there, so it's hard to see who's eating yet. I've been noticing them more and more, hopefully soon be able to ID them by their color and behavior. I'm bad with names, so imagine 10 new guys all at once!

A downside on watching them so closely now is that I'm starting to see some defects that I didn't see earlier. A few of them has eye defects, one might even be blind on one side, not sure. It's all hazy, and the outer clear shell of the eye, is not normal, looks collapsed.

There's also one guy, that has a little... bubble/cyst right behind it's gills. It sure looks like a large Ich cyst, but hoping it's not. I'll keep an eye on it to make sure there's no outbreak.

The stuff on the gills mentioned earlier in this thread, is now gone. May have been some mucus of some sort... I'll keep an eye to see if that returns as well.

I'll post updates as they come.

Thanks guys for keeping with this!

Off to Boston I go!

bs6749

AC Members
Aug 24, 2008
If you want honest opinions of your discus you should post on www.simplydiscus.com/forums

I could tell you things that are wrong with them but you'd think I'm being too harsh and you might not believe me from previous threads. In short, many of them look sick, are stunted, have poor shape, and have deformities. Forget the tatteredness of the fins, those will heal in time. Not the best purchase overall. I noticed the bad eye on the cobalt (?) and though it's no defect for a "pet" it makes it worthless as a breeder fish. I feel you did many things wrong here, including purchasing fish smaller than 3" when you don't have any discus experience, and keeping fish ove vastly differing size together, but you've got to start somewhere right? If you post on the site I mentioned you'll find out all these things and more from experts and not just 'some guy".

shawnhu

AC Members
Oct 31, 2008
New York City
If you want honest opinions of your discus you should post on www.simplydiscus.com/forums

I could tell you things that are wrong with them but you'd think I'm being too harsh and you might not believe me from previous threads. In short, many of them look sick, are stunted, have poor shape, and have deformities. Forget the tatteredness of the fins, those will heal in time. Not the best purchase overall. I noticed the bad eye on the cobalt (?) and though it's no defect for a "pet" it makes it worthless as a breeder fish. I feel you did many things wrong here, including purchasing fish smaller than 3" when you don't have any discus experience, and keeping fish ove vastly differing size together, but you've got to start somewhere right? If you post on the site I mentioned you'll find out all these things and more from experts and not just 'some guy".
Thanks for the tips, I started my journey back from this hobby at aquaria central, and many has helped me here. Although I am part of simply's forums now, I will always come here first as my community forum.

Thanks for pointing out how sick and bad a purchase I made. Instead of having these fish go to the LFS or down a toilet, I instead purchased them and gave them a new home. Appreciate your input though, since I did specifically select the best of what the seller had to offer.

I don't plan on breeding discus in the near future, as I don't have the space, time, or cash to do so. As bad as you might see it, these are my "experiment fish" but at the same time, they will have a good home, and be well fed.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
these do seem a bit worse for wear.

but you should be able to nurse them back,

it is not always bad to get small discus.. just be willing to do the work.

simply discus is great for information. but use it as a source for information.
every situation is different and not everyone wants to raise / breed show quality discus.

first thing.. what's the temp? are you using salt?

shawnhu

AC Members
Oct 31, 2008
New York City
these do seem a bit worse for wear.

but you should be able to nurse them back,

it is not always bad to get small discus.. just be willing to do the work.

simply discus is great for information. but use it as a source for information.
every situation is different and not everyone wants to raise / breed show quality discus.

first thing.. what's the temp? are you using salt?
Temp is hanging at 87-88 F. I'm not currently using salt, yet. What's the recommended kind and concentration?

I'm starting to come up with ideas to help with the water changes. I'll be visting Home Depot to help with the hard work to come.

yourchoice

AC Members
Aug 6, 2006
Toronto
1 teaspoon per 5g regular table salt is ok.If its` 46g (thats filled to the rim so you have a pretty stocked tank.Change 50% daily the overall health and the fins will look much better after a week.If your feeding Dry discus food pellet type try to get them used to that its pretty healthy.I would add an airstone or bubble wand for oxygen.

shawnhu

AC Members
Oct 31, 2008
New York City
They just had their first meal of beefheart today, they seemed to love it. I beleive that's what they ate before. I'll give them that a few times a week, max.

I'll be sure to add air and also keep the water clean. My most concerning problem seems to be the constant pecking at one another, it's never ending.

pam916

AC Members
Oct 19, 2008
fort worth, tx
Discus are always picking on someone, it is just their nature, whether you have 3 or 10. It might help it you put some plastic plants or something in the tank to give the victims a place of refuge. With them being different sizes you need to watch closely and make sure that everyone is getting to eat their fair share. IMO you need to be sure and do daily water changes with that many fish in your tank and especially feeding beefheart. I have 6 adult discus in a 55 gallon tank and I think it would be crowding to add anymore. You might want to think about getting a larger tank in the near future. Good luck to you and let us know how they do.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store