1 HR from now...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

addicted2fish

" Can you come out to play ? "
Mar 19, 2008
wow that is creepy ,. good luck, does the discus site seem to help you with these problems ??

rinmouse

peek-a-boo!
Aug 5, 2006
That totally looks like some type of mite. You said you were looking around to see what's in there... was this from a gill scraping that you did, or just in the aquarium? Many mites are scavengers. Unless these were actually ON your fish, it's likely they are harmless.

rinmouse

peek-a-boo!
Aug 5, 2006
By water flea do you mean something like daphnia? I don't think it looks like those.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Maybe this?

Argulus (“Fish Louse”)

If you're looking to see if there are gill flukes, you have to actually swab the gill and look at that under the scope. You can't use anything you find in the water to figure out if it's flukes or not.

Last edited:

shawnhu

AC Members
Oct 31, 2008
New York City
It does look like a mite, or water flea. What magnification is that image at?
It's at 1500x

I got that sample from mucus that floated to the top. After a water change, my Discus usually has a lot of mucus coming off their gills. I tracked one, and grapped it as soon as it reached the top. I found 2 of those things in there, still alive.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store