10 gallon journal--L'?tendue sauvage majestueuse

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bluekrissyspike

bwa-hahahahaha!!!!!
Mar 24, 2007
i like deep sand. be careful about getting anarobic(sp?) air pockets. you'll need to stir the sand a bit or add some trumpet snails.

CrimsonBlush

Attemping to post rather than lurk
Jun 15, 2008
Twin Cities
crimsonblush.deviantart.com
Real Name
Miah
wow this came out really nice
i like how the tree looks alot
cant wait to see it fill up with leaves haha
Thanks so much!

i like deep sand. be careful about getting anarobic(sp?) air pockets. you'll need to stir the sand a bit or add some trumpet snails.
I've heard that about sand, how often should I stir it? Do trumpet snails have lots of offspring, I would consider having them, but I don't want a ton of babies!

CrimsonBlush

Jun 15, 2008
Twin Cities
Real Name
Miah
Well lets just say my tank hasn't been doing much...I scrapped the moss carpet...it was not growing and the screen discolored the sand.

At this point, I think I need to upgrade my lighting. All I have is a 15 watt T8 bulb which doesn't seem to be doing much. I hope to plant hairgrass in the future, so what is the best way of upgrading my lighting? Someone suggested that I buy an incandescent hood and put in florescent bulb. Is this a good idea and can anyone give me a link to a good bulb?

Unfortunately, my filter also gave out; after only a year! It is an aqua-tech. Can anyone suggest a good filter for a 10 gallon?

CrimsonBlush

Jun 15, 2008
Twin Cities
Real Name
Miah
Anyone? Even if you can't answer all my questions, some help would be greatly appreciated!

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
If you want a submersible, I like the duetto 100 (DJ100) if you want one that hangs on the back, I would suggest one of the Whisper lines (like the 30i) They come in all sizes.

roscoe70

AC Members
Apr 5, 2009
East Texas
The tree scape is really, really nice. Good luck with it, BTW a submersible filter would take up quite a bit of room in your tank IMO. I'd opt for a HOB.

CrimsonBlush

Jun 15, 2008
Twin Cities
Real Name
Miah
If you want a submersible, I like the duetto 100 (DJ100) if you want one that hangs on the back, I would suggest one of the Whisper lines (like the 30i) They come in all sizes.
Thanks for the suggestions! I think it would be better to have the whisper one for up to 20 gallons...higher filtration would be nice.

The tree scape is really, really nice. Good luck with it, BTW a submersible filter would take up quite a bit of room in your tank IMO. I'd opt for a HOB
Thank you very much! I think I will with a HOB one! :)

Does anyone have any suggestions for lighting?

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
ge daylight from walmart would be MY first choice. n:vision daylight from home depot would be my second choice.

walmart... ge: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5984218

home depot... n:vision: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...3&productId=100527340&N=10000003+90401+501576

if you can get a hood that holds 2 bulbs that's better and i'd go with 40 watt replacements (10 watts each). if you are stuck with 1 socket i'd say probably a 75 watt replacement (about 20 watts).

if you can do it tactfully a hanging (from the ceiling or a stand) fixture will be better. it will allow you to adjust your lighting by raising or lowering it. that will make it much easier to provide enough light for your plants without having to worry about algae.

i use 2 clamp lamps on my smaller tank and position their height accordingly and it works great. i have to admit though i would not put it in my living room though. it is definitely not a show piece. the plants and critters are as healthy as can be though.

CrimsonBlush

Jun 15, 2008
Twin Cities
Real Name
Miah
ge daylight from walmart would be MY first choice. n:vision daylight from home depot would be my second choice.

walmart... ge: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5984218

home depot... n:vision: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...3&productId=100527340&N=10000003+90401+501576

if you can get a hood that holds 2 bulbs that's better and i'd go with 40 watt replacements (10 watts each). if you are stuck with 1 socket i'd say probably a 75 watt replacement (about 20 watts).

if you can do it tactfully a hanging (from the ceiling or a stand) fixture will be better. it will allow you to adjust your lighting by raising or lowering it. that will make it much easier to provide enough light for your plants without having to worry about algae.

i use 2 clamp lamps on my smaller tank and position their height accordingly and it works great. i have to admit though i would not put it in my living room though. it is definitely not a show piece. the plants and critters are as healthy as can be though.
Thanks so much for the links and all the info! I really apreciate it! I think I will just be leaving the light on the hood since the tank is located in my 4 seasons porch. Thanks so much for everything! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store