10 gallon Multi Tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
I've heard about the breeding.... but WOW!! Thanks guys for all the info, I'm definitely going to go with a 10 gallon with a trio (2 females 1 male) and keep a couple of babies. Definitely going to use the omega chiclid flakes as they worked great with my south americans. I don't know if I could handle 'eliminating' the juvies tho..... Think I'm going to arrange a deal with some friends fist.....

Lastly, what would be a good female to male ratio, is the same ratio with livebearers good with these, or should I only get one male, or what?

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Stick with one male to start, although I doubt you'll have any choice in the matter. I would actually start with somewhere around 5 or 6, and then if males become an issue, move the ones you don't want. You will end up with multiple males at some point, because leaving some to grow out is the whole point of a colony. These are great fish, with lots of personality. There's a national geographic video of one biting the tail of a nearby caiman, and the multie won.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Males are larger and females stay small but only obtaining adults will you know the true sex also males get a bulge under their chest..

LOL Austin that was classical bro POOR EFORS..

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Last question, where did you guys get yours as I have been struggling to find a reputable online store that doesn't charge tons of money....

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
that wetthumbaquatics looks pretty nice, I'm going to go and post an ad in the classifieds to see if anybody has some juvies that they wouldn't mind sending along....

aj2494

R.I.P. Guys
Jul 31, 2008
Buffalo, New York
If you'd be willing to pay for shipping, I have 2 I could give you. They have never bred, and don't fight, so I think they're two females. After you buy yours, if you don't get many or any females (cough, cough... Efors), just let me know.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store