10 Gallon Paludarium A Tribute

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
If you don't mind having silicone all over your hands, you could empty out a bottle in one area, smear it with your hands all over so there is an even coat on everything, then you throw sand all over it or gravel or what ever you want. You would probably only need 1 tube, but I would buy 2, just in case.

kingearwig

Master Pond Snail Breeder
Jul 17, 2008
Indiana
s159.photobucket.com
Well I decided to spraypaint it first. nice natural laying around green (free) then applied 2 tubes ($10) GE I silicone clear then a coat of lake michigan sand (free).
The free filter pictured is not adaquate for my standards. at that kind of elevation it barely trickles. So I am planning to get a fluval like I have in my other tank it is an in the tank filter. that will be $11. This will also allow me to enclose the tank better than if I had the HOB.

kingearwig

Master Pond Snail Breeder
Jul 17, 2008
Indiana
s159.photobucket.com
Thanks. I am now looking for stocking suggestions for this setup. I don't want a species only tank and that is about the only stipulation I have. I was thinking newts but they like it cold and eat small fish. So I don't know what to do... brackish red claw crabs.... what would be good tankmates for them shrimp? Are there any semi aquatic snakes that might work?

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
Looking good!

Japanese firebellies are tiny, and they can only eat the smallest and laziest fish. Red-spotted newts are also pretty small. You can keep these guys with any of the small shrimp species; you might lose a few juveniles, but they won't eat the adults. White cloud mountain minnows, or any of the small 'hitchhikers' you see in feeder shrimp tanks (bluefin killifish, golden topminnows, swamp darters, etc.) would be suitable fish. Dwarf crayfish (Cambarellus species) would work, but any other crays are too big and destructive; they would kill their tankmates and likely demolish your hardscaping too.

I don't know much about brackish species, but crabs are definitely harder to keep fish with than newts are.

There are no semi-aquatic snakes small enough to be comfortable in that setup.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store