10 Gallon Paludarium A Tribute

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
Bettas like having their tank heated. A school of 5 White Cloud Mountian Minnows would work in that space. They like having unheated water and don't do much as far as bio-load. It's nice to see you took my advice about the styrafoam "river."

KIM_TMA

AC Members
Apr 2, 2008
Arkansas
That is to neat lookin. If I ever decide to go this route I will hollar at you to carve and ship it to me. I don't think I could do that, not even attempt.

I would stay away from bettas in your case because they like HEAT. Like 80+ would be suitable for a betta. Also they don't keep in pairs, males will kill females if she isn't ready to spawn in his territory and if she can't escape he will think that she is refusing to leave his turf and running off maybe ready to spawn females. Good Luck with whatever you do decide to go with.

kingearwig

Master Pond Snail Breeder
Jul 17, 2008
Indiana
s159.photobucket.com
Ok well I have decided that will be a tropical paludarium with a temperature of around 80. So how long should I wait for the silicone to cure. I have had it in the sun and wind now for like 3 days is that enough?

kingearwig

Jul 17, 2008
Indiana
s159.photobucket.com
That is to neat lookin. If I ever decide to go this route I will hollar at you to carve and ship it to me. I don't think I could do that, not even attempt.

I would stay away from bettas in your case because they like HEAT. Like 80+ would be suitable for a betta. Also they don't keep in pairs, males will kill females if she isn't ready to spawn in his territory and if she can't escape he will think that she is refusing to leave his turf and running off maybe ready to spawn females. Good Luck with whatever you do decide to go with.
I would love to make things like this for people but I think I would like to get like $40 for what I did here. Does anyone think that sounds reasonable?

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
Silicone hardens in about 4-5 hours IME. It fully cures when you can't smell it anymore, so your silicone is cured. If you're planning to make it a tropical Paludarium, get some Endler's or guppies to go in the water part. But every so often, you'll have to take some out and feed it to the lizards if they haven't eaten it already.

kingearwig

Jul 17, 2008
Indiana
s159.photobucket.com
Still not sure what to put in the upper part. There are not very many dry places. I think I am going to have to find a small semi aquatic frog. My cousin just caught me a gray tree frog. here come some pics.

kingearwig

Jul 17, 2008
Indiana
s159.photobucket.com
Here are some pictures from today. Water is clearing nicely. I may release the gray treefrog. Seeing how they live in the trees I don't really feel that a 10 gallon is an adequate size for even one. If I had a 29 gal I think I could have half a dozen.... hmmmm

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
lookin good. I can't think of any lizards off the top of my head that would stay small enough for that kind of tank and wouldn't mind that much water... I would definitely consider adding some branches to the top for more climbing space for any sort of frog/lizard you may add.

Personally, I would stick with fish/inverts for the water and some sort of frog or newt...

kingearwig

Jul 17, 2008
Indiana
s159.photobucket.com
I have been looking for an amphibious shrimp but that doesn't seem to exist. I am thinking about crawfish but I don't like their monstrous ways.(fish catching and plant destruction) I feel stupid having made this and then have nothing to use the upper part. the gray treefrog has been released.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store