10G Betta Plastic Tub Tank Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

secuono

AC Members
Aug 12, 2009
VA, USA
Nice set-ups!

That actually looks much better than what I thought it was gonna look like!
Ditto! You can see him very well, pics are harder to take, but regular viewing is just as easy. I will definitely be getting more tubs if I can't find tanks on CL cheap enough.

secuono

AC Members
Aug 12, 2009
VA, USA
Lemon is fine, he jumped out twice in the last 3 days and is fine. I will check the tank tomorrow and then prolly move him back.

zpromoter

AC Members
Jun 15, 2009
Well, i think it started leaking. had to find another tank, a 17g or so..lol

Where did the tank start leaking from? Seems a little weird on a plastic bucket.

Also, I'm not sure if you're aware, but you should stir your sand around at least twice a month to prevent anerobic bacteria pockets from occuring. Just saying cuz your sand bed is pretty deep.

secuono

AC Members
Aug 12, 2009
VA, USA
Most people never have issues with the sand and any dangerous gas, there is a thread on this site somewhere about it. I never stir any of my 4 tanks, never had an issue. two 55gs, 1 130g, 1 5g.

secuono

AC Members
Aug 12, 2009
VA, USA
Well, the 18G or so he is in, he swims only around the walls or bottom. Afraid of all the new space? Last night he was trying to go through the walls it seemed. Otherwise, he is doing well. Would it be wrong to put him back in his 4-5g after the 18g? I was kinda hoping to have a sorority one day in the 18g. Also, how many girls could I have in the 18g? It will have tons of plants for hiding, so that's not an issue.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
I don't really think it's a good idea to keep a plastic tub full of water for months like that. It's just not meant for it. If you fill it all the way to the top you're putting a lot of pressure and strain on the cheap plastic, which isn't braced at all, and the tall "square" design is even flimsier than a long rectangle shaped tote. Perhaps if you kept the lid on that would help brace it, but you don't want to do that obviously because then you would have no lighting.

I know the tote you're talking about, I just found one at Kmart on sale, and I have lots of file cabinet boxes similar to it. I think it would be great to grow plants emersed (like Anubias and swords). But it just doesn't make a good aquarium...sorry :(

Why don't you Google Finnex 4 gallon and see if you can't get one of those? It's only $50.

secuono

AC Members
Aug 12, 2009
VA, USA
$50 is expensive for a tiny tank.
I know plastic gets brittle, like rubber after time.
But I am hoping that with time, I will save enough for a 'real' tank.

I added 8 Platy fry into his tank. At first he wasn't too happy nor did he know what to do. Now he charges all flared and puffed, but once he realizes the fry don't run and hide, he pauses all confused and then relaxes and swims off. It's too cute.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store