10g Paludarium (maybe) build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Ripariums are definitely a cool way to enhance a fish tank, and can be a good jumping off point into paludariums

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
15 talls are really hard to work in. I'd really suggest a standard 20 gallon (not 20long) tank to start with. I have a 15 tall... there are so many benefits of a 20 vs the 15. The biggest is that you get a lot more room front to back to add dimension to your background and hide your filtration.

pedzola

AC Members
Aug 26, 2005
Hello Mellow, thanks for stopping by my thread. Your 5g was my inspiration to start this project!

Here's the thing...

Back in the day I started with a single medium sized fish tank, and quickly added several more. Eventually the fish took over my life, and it just became too much. I sold or gave away all the fish and most of my equipment.

So this time, I really want to limit myself. I want to have 1 small tank with very minimal livestock and thats it.

I was originally thinking to get a 5 gallon eclipse system and a betta... just to have something around. But then I saw these paludariums and figured I could have about 5 gallons of water in a 10g paludarium instead, and it would allow me to grow some plants and have a much nicer looking setup.

So... I did some calculating and figured a 10g tank w/a paludarium is more like 3-4 gallons of water, and also there's just not much space for vertical plant growth (thus the 15g).

I could get a 20... but then everything just starts to grow... don't want to be tempted to get more livestock, don't want to have to buy more plants, don't want to end up w/some crazy canister filter or expensive lights...

So the 15 might not be ideal dimensions, but if you were able to have that sweet setup in a 5g tank, I'm thinking I should be able to do something nice with it.

And again, I might have 5-6 gallons of water in this, but the additional height over a 10g for me is just for vertical room for plant growth (since I don't have a hanging light, the strip will sit directly on the glass top).

So... I understand where you're coming from, but I'm limiting myself on purpose... I think I can do something good w/this tank. (Now I just have to find one).

pedzola

AC Members
Aug 26, 2005
Also I guess I should mention that I'm 6'2 with long arms and a neat little grabber tool, so working in the tight vertical space of the 15 shouldn't be a big problem. ha!

I just mocked it out with some sheets of paper and an 18" ruler to see what it would be like reaching to the bottom... should be ok.

But as you mentioned, the depth (front-back) will be the real challenge.

Debating vivarium vs paludarium... got to give it some more thought.

PaulJ69

CP addict
Mar 18, 2008
NJ
That thing is awesome! I love the little pool on the top right. Must fight the urge.

pedzola

AC Members
Aug 26, 2005
So I was thinking... what if I used a 2.5g sump? That would remove the heater and filter from the display tank and free up some room/options. Does anyone sell pre-drilled aquariums in 10g or 15g high?

Is there a way to use a sump without drilling? I'm thinking a siphon system sounds dangerous if the power should go out, etc.

Any ideas?

pedzola

AC Members
Aug 26, 2005
Well I picked up a 10gallon tank.

Neither Petco nor Petsmart carry the 15 tall.

Petco had a 14 gallon KIT that I was tempted to buy, but I already ordered the glass top and light fixture and filter and heater... so all I needed was the tank... (and all the stuff it comes with is crap anyway). But the dimensions were perfect... 20x10x16.... really tempting... for $40 on sale... but I got a 10g tank for $13 instead.

I'm going to force myself to work within the confines of the 10g, and see what I can do!

I also picked up some GE 6500k CFL bulbs, and some GE Silicone I.

Also found a MUCH cheaper source for CORK BARK. I will share after I make my purchase, because they only have a limited amount. haha!

Also checked out some eggcrate at home depot, but I'm thinking I'm only going to need a small bit of that, if any... so maybe I can come up w/an alternative instead of buying a whole sheet.

hmmmm... half my petco order should be arriving tomorrow... substrate and glass hood shipping later.

Will start taking pictures once I gather all equipment. Maybe start a new thread at this point.

Any plant suggestions? Preferably short plants? ha.

- Chris

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Well I picked up a 10gallon tank.

Petco had a 14 gallon KIT that I was tempted to buy, but I already ordered the glass top and light fixture and filter and heater... so all I needed was the tank... (and all the stuff it comes with is crap anyway). But the dimensions were perfect... 20x10x16.... really tempting... for $40 on sale... but I got a 10g tank for $13 instead.

Any plant suggestions? Preferably short plants? ha.

- Chris
They have that same deal at one of my petcos, it's a pretty awesome deal. I personally run all of the stuff it comes with on my 10, 5.5, and larger versions for my new 37 and have never had a problem.

I can't really help out much on the plants, or the sump. I think that you won't be able to drill the tank if you have terrestrial animals, so that ruins a bit of the fun of paludariums right off the bat.

If you wanted a cheap redneck palu, do what I just did. I plopped a 3-4 gallon critter keeper in the middle of the tank (without the top) and then filled in with bark and spaeghum moss around it and threw in some nice terrarium plants that stick to the wall around the edges.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store