10g Paludarium (maybe) build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
My reccomendation is to make a shelf in the back corner of the tank, and plant it. Keep the water level down a couple inches, and build a DIY cork background. Plant some aquatic plants in the background in the water, and have some terrestrial ones above water. You could hide any wires in the background, and you could drill the tank behind it and set up the sump that way.

pedzola

AC Members
Aug 26, 2005
Eek... maybe I should go pick up that kit. I'm tempted now. I could just return all the other stuff. (Except the duetto, which will be necessary).

Hmmm, what to do?

Also the sump is out. After reading all about the difficulties of drilling small glass tanks I decided I just don't want to deal with it.

I'm definitely trying to figure out what my scape would look like.

Probably involving some kind of shelf instead of floor-up land-masses. Want to maximize swimming room for my betta or whatever goes in there.

Have to be able to hide the heater and filter though... considering all the options w/the bark and etc in my head.

HMMM...

and maybe that 14g kit...

pedzola

AC Members
Aug 26, 2005
Well I picked up the 14g kit from petco. Tank size is perfect. It's a couple inches shorter than a regular 15 tall.

Glad I went back and got it.

But now I have double filters, double heaters, double hoods and lights... anyone want a 10g tank setup? haha

Substrate and the rest of the equipment should be in tomrorow. Just gotta order the cork bark and then ill be in business.

Gotta start planning.... debating whether to get one of the flat cork backgrounds to start off. DOn't have much front-to-back space to begin with though.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
If you want to hide the heater/filter, you should make a water proof 3D background and put it in the back of the tank. Leave space for a heater and the filter behind it, and cut some openings in the background. Put some kind of barrier (mesh?) in the holes, so that the fish can't get behind it.

Then you could put the "shelf" on top of the 3D background, and maybe have it extend out a little bit.

fishguychris

AC Members
Nov 7, 2010
ever heard of a land hermit crab tank middle area dirt right area salt water left area freshwater put some neons in the fresh the hermits wet there gills in the salt and drink fresh

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
I'm not too sure about the requirements of hermits, but I think that the water would be too deep for hermits if it were to house neons.

pedzola

AC Members
Aug 26, 2005
Not planning to have anything that walks on land in this tank.

Thinking maybe a betta, or maybe a couple of cherry barbs. Or maybe just some freshwater shrimp. We'll see.

Was thinking maybe this for background? http://www.zoomed.com/Library//ProductDBImages/NCB-1-Cork-Tile.JPG

It's about an inch thick...

Figure I could stop it at the waterline to give an extra inch below. Maybe build a shelf at the waterline (maybe w/this same cork, or with un-flattened pieces). Or... have some kinda empty "stump" w/a cork round that hides my filter and etc...

I dunno. Maybe I'll have to wait til I get the cork. I don't have any plants yet either so the whole thing is up in the air.

I'm thinking Anubias Hastifolia, some HC (probably both emersed)... would be nice to have a waterfall type feature. I think the duetto can take 1/2" tubing on the output... maybe I should figure out how to fashion a DIY spraybar for that.

pedzola

AC Members
Aug 26, 2005
So I ordered my cork. Should be here in a week.

I got it from Amazon.com! Here is a real long URL, if it doesn't work just go to amazon and search for "natural cork" and then narrow it to pets, and select free super saver shipping (or amazon.com as the seller).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_scat_518280011_ln?rh=n%3A518280011%2Ck%3Anatural+cork&keywords=natural+cork&ie=UTF8&qid=1295624092&scn=518280011&h=64d345e83b54e73f5e2d402af60567e667347233#/ref=sr_nr_p_6_0?rh=n%3A1055398%2Cn%3A%211063498%2Cn%3A12923371%2Cn%3A518261011%2Cn%3A518262011%2Cn%3A518280011%2Ck%3Anatural+cork%2Cp_6%3AATVPDKIKX0DER&bbn=518280011&keywords=natural+cork&ie=UTF8&qid=1295624095&rnid=331544011

I ordered one large flat, one large round, and a 12x18 background.

Prices are much cheaper than I could have gotten anywhere else (free shipping is key). I'll take pics when it arrives. Hopefully I'll get some nice pieces to work with.

The rest of my equipment should come in today, provided the snowstorm doesn't hold up UPS.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
wow, great find pedz! I would never have thought of looking at Amazon. Gotta get over my mindset that "that's where you go to look for books." :)

and they have carnivorous plant kits too.... /drool

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store