10g Planted

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Some updates...I removed the hood and mounted the light above the tank hoping for some emersed growth. Also, it's amazing how much more light is actually illuminating the tank this way even though the room now looks like the mothership has landed it's so bright..lol.

The CO2 is making a huge difference in this little tank.
100_3854.jpg
100_3855.jpg
100_3864.jpg

100_3854.jpg 100_3855.jpg 100_3864.jpg

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
lol..yeah, the pennywort has really taken off. I guess I'll have to trim it soon, even though I love the way it spreads across the surface. The Bacopa has been trimmed a couple of times already.
The Dwarf Lily's growth has surprised me the most. Typically, they're slow growers but this thing has tripled in size. The largest leaves are a new plant that sprouted off from the main bulb. This is the plant that I really want to grow emersed.

Bk718

No Monkey Business
Nov 29, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
lol..yeah, the pennywort has really taken off. I guess I'll have to trim it soon, even though I love the way it spreads across the surface. The Bacopa has been trimmed a couple of times already.
The Dwarf Lily's growth has surprised me the most. Typically, they're slow growers but this thing has tripled in size. The largest leaves are a new plant that sprouted off from the main bulb. This is the plant that I really want to grow emersed.
You can always add a weight to the center of the pennywort stem so it brings it down and keeps all the leaves together giving it a bushy look.

Lily is nice, mine also started out slow but then went crazy growing 3-4" a day. Btw lilies are all submerged, only way you can have it emersed is just by having the new leaves float at the top.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Beautiful tank, Slappy!

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I just want the lily to send up a couple of shoots towards the surface to bloom. :)
Not really true emersed growth (I guess), but you get the idea. Lilies will do this if given enough light and the tank isn't too deep. (Not a problem with this tank)
I have a feeling that I'm going to want to upgrade this tank to a 20-30G some time in the future. The space that this tank sits in, certainly allows for it.

Thanks, jbradt :D

Fordtrannyman

Sharing Experience and Failures!
Apr 27, 2008
So. Cal.
I just want the lily to send up a couple of shoots towards the surface to bloom. :)
Not really true emersed growth (I guess), but you get the idea. Lilies will do this if given enough light and the tank isn't too deep. (Not a problem with this tank)
I have a feeling that I'm going to want to upgrade this tank to a 20-30G some time in the future. The space that this tank sits in, certainly allows for it.

Thanks, jbradt :D
Sounds like you've been bit by the bug. LOL
It's a pretty nice setup.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
lol, thanks... I already have 2 other tanks. A 75g Salty and a 55g cichlid tank. If I do upgrade this tank to something larger, I probably won't continue to run the 10g full time. Probably just use it as a QT.

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
Your pennywort seems to have longer roots than mine do, you probably need to throw awya a chandful every week. (I know I do) I remember seeing a guy's tank that had pennywort growing out of his tank and covering all of his AC filter. Nice tank!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store