10g plants, CP?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
besides the CPs, what kinda stuff can be kept in vivarium settings, i know orchids but i was overwhelmed when i tried searching them, any other suggestions as well?
You can grow a lot of aquarium plants emersed... crypts, anubias... those are the ones that come to mind.

oh man, if i find some D adelae than im deffinatly going to buy them.

i have the standard hood for the 10g, and it takes screw in bumbs with a max of 25w. would some large 23w CFLs do a good job of lighting them? and what specs do i need on lights again?
23 watt CFL's will do a great job. Look for ones between 5000 and 6500k. Depending on the species of plants you get, keep an eye on the temp... 2 would add quite a bit of heat to a 10g I think.

Chrisinator

Ripariumist
Sep 27, 2008
North Jersey
Real Name
Chris
most plants intended for the use of houseplants will be perfect in a vivarium. I have pilea sp. Fittonia sp. Philodedron sp. Pothos sp. And a ton of other ones

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
if heat becomes an issue ive got several computer fans that i could run in the tank. they dont move much air, i think like less than 6CFT per min, but i figure thats more than enough since the tank is less than 2CFT

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
is this the lid you're talking about?...

you could certainly go to a local ace hardware and have them cut a piece of glass 19 1/4 X 9 3/8 and that will sit perfectly on top. use a rasp or dremel to smooth the edges. then you just use a razor knife to cut the lip that sits in the groove off the lid and it works just fine. for better details, check out the pics in the fun with humidity thread.

also... if that's the hood you're using you could put a fan directly in it if you shaved it down right. with the glass there you wouldn't have to worry about losing humidity to deal with heat either.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Just an FYI, my tanks are completely open except for the light fixtures. Humidity stays consistently around 60% in both but again our ambient humidity is probably a lot higher than yours normally. It really depends what your conditions inside are like...

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
is this the lid you're talking about?...

you could certainly go to a local ace hardware and have them cut a piece of glass 19 1/4 X 9 3/8 and that will sit perfectly on top. use a rasp or dremel to smooth the edges. then you just use a razor knife to cut the lip that sits in the groove off the lid and it works just fine. for better details, check out the pics in the fun with humidity thread.

also... if that's the hood you're using you could put a fan directly in it if you shaved it down right. with the glass there you wouldn't have to worry about losing humidity to deal with heat either.
:iagree: I'd go with glass over the plastic hood... Should be pretty inexpensive too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store