10g plants, CP?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

x916krew

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
California
A spare ten gallon would work just fine for some sundews as many don't get too tall and with a lid on top you could keep up the humidity.. But I wouldn't stand it up on it's side so you could fit more inside it and you don't really need the added vertical space.. Also most dews would do just fine in direct sun aslong as you keep the temp and humidity in line

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
ya, i remember in like 3rd grade i had a venus flytrap and some type of pitcher, not the ones that produce the actual pitcher but the straight standing up things that stick out of the plant, im sorry, hopefully soon ill have better terminology lol.

but anyways, so ya, how much you want for that adelae? and is there anything else you propagated that i can get from you? do you have any binata?
I don't really want to get anything for the plant... it didn't cost me anything... just reimburse shipping, and we can call it even. =) That's the only type I have that's propagated so far.

Cp's have formed yet another thread??? My good lord lol. At least Im strong enough to keep away from the CP fever going on around here. Ill stick to my succulents.
One of us, one of us... =P

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
cool, thanks man, what does shipping usually cost on something like that? also, ive been looking at the neps, i kinda like them, but im not sure if i could properly house them they seem difficult, and after reading some of the care sheets for the different drosera they seem more difficult to keep. i read that the optimum growing temp is like 55-65 degrees, i cant keep them at that temp in my house.....

same goes for the neps, i read that they like to go into the 60s as night for good plant and pitcher growth, i cant do that. will that be an issue keeping them at room temp? cause we keep our house around 74.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
I've found temperature to be less of an issue than humidity and light. My rack and terrariums get up into the high 70's-low 80's during the day with no problems at all.

Highland neps do need a drop in temperature at night. This is because during the day when temps are up, they produce food in the form of sugars through photosynthesis. At night, they need the drop in temp to actually consume that food. For the intermediate neps, they don't necessarily need that same temp drop to be able to consume the sugars they produce. This is why they're such good beginner plants. They will be fine with the normal drop in temp that most homes experience after the sun goes down. Lowland neps on the other hand like it hot all the time.

I'm not sure what shipping would be. A round estimate would probably be around $8-10.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
cool, thanks man, what does shipping usually cost on something like that? also, ive been looking at the neps, i kinda like them, but im not sure if i could properly house them they seem difficult, and after reading some of the care sheets for the different drosera they seem more difficult to keep. i read that the optimum growing temp is like 55-65 degrees, i cant keep them at that temp in my house.....

same goes for the neps, i read that they like to go into the 60s as night for good plant and pitcher growth, i cant do that. will that be an issue keeping them at room temp? cause we keep our house around 74.
I've found drosera to be the most forgiving plants I've kept. If you keep to the list I gave you I would expect you to do just fine. Mine are at 80F during the day and it dips down to the 70s at night. Remember that most are from tropical and Mediterranean areas.

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
thanks brad, is there anything else that youve proped that you could send along with it by any chance?

if the neps need the cold i could just position them in front of the output for my AC at night if thats whats needed. i was looking at some of the ventricosa hybrids. do they neccesarily need to be in a vivarium, i figured that im loosing about 5gallons a day to evaporation in my bedroom which probably causes a high percentage of humidity. would this suffice for a nep? i would like to keep one of the larger growing species. so i can have some large pitchers. there's one i found that i find really interesting, it was found here:

http://cpjungle.com/cgi-bin/available

its labeled Nepenthes sp. #1

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
I haven't propagated anything else.

In front of the AC should be good for most HL neps. As far as humidity, as long as it's 50%ish or above it should be just fine.

Neps don't really NEED to be in a terrarium. the only real reason to do so would be to control humidity or temp, etc if your conditions require it.

I can't speak to the one you linked since I haven't grown it. If you want something that gets big, I would recommend N. Truncata. When mature, the leaves will be as big as dinner plates and the pitchers get upwards of 15". Copelandii will get big too, with pitchers around a foot. Both of those are intermediates, so they'd be good starter plants. =)

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Almost forgot to add... re: humidity... you don't want to keep them in too high humidity all the time. It will weaken the leaves/stem and cause the plant to be less able to take up water from the roots. This will make it less resilient if the humidity does drop for some reason. It will also lessen the plant's ability to fend off fungus/mold, etc...

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
if you're interested in orchids i recommend you join orchidboard.com. lots of folks there that have experience and knowledge. some orchids will even do well in a setup for cp's. many of the principles are the same and just by aiming your water at them (whether it be by way of fogger or mister) will allow you to mount orchids on wood planks (such as cork bark flats) for a nice backdrop.

ray barkalow (username ray) is one of the resident orchid experts there. he's a good guy and knows his stuff. very friendly and helpful too. as well you could get plenty of materials/supplies from him too such as prime agra, r/o, eco-web, msu ferts, etc., etc..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store