110 Native Wisconsin Riparium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

elinore

AC Members
Aug 7, 2010
Far Northern WI
Real Name
Ella
As a fellow Wisconsinite, I can't wait to see it finished! What museum will it be displayed in? Maybe I could even visit it :)

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
Where do you live Up North? I have been around the Monicqua area a lot and I also went to school in Ashland.

elinore

AC Members
Aug 7, 2010
Far Northern WI
Real Name
Ella
I live in Minocqua and go to school at UW Madison. I do a lot of travelling up by Ashland and Bayfield, where we have a boat on Lk Superior. Couldn't be a better place to live!

What types of plants are you thinking of using for your project? There are so many good natives to choose from around here!

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
Yes that is a wonderful area up there I wish I could make more time to travel up that way.

I probably won't be using a lot of native plants for this setup. Unfortunately most of the marginal emergent species in WI are plants that requirea cold winter dormancy, so they aren't so good for a permanent indoor display. FOr the planted area I am going to instead use some common cpond plants (Cyperus, Acorus and a few others) as "stand-ins" for the native grassy plants.

Here's another idea that I had for the abovewater background...

ReefCetnral.com: My Shadowbox Background

This would only work if the plants were trimmed back so that a good deal of negative space could be maintained in the planted layout. For this idea I would frame up a shot enlargrement showing a view through the trees near a stream and then use the shadowbox for an enhanced perception of depth.

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
I just ran into this interesting short article about aquarium care of the Campostoma stonerollers....

NANFA.org Captive Care Notes: Stonerollers

It sounds like they eat a lot. I think they get up to almost 6" long so I would probably use just a single stoneroller in this setup like a centerpiece fish.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
The Umbra could be problematic. A large one could very possibly eat your Rainbow Darters.

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
Same! I wish I had a rainbow darter setup myself. Beautiful little things...
I've been dying to do a tank with Rainbow Darters. You'd hardly need a centerpiece if they kept their breeding colors up all the time.
Yep. I have never kept them either but I look forward to trying them out.

The Umbra could be problematic. A large one could very possibly eat your Rainbow Darters.
I'll just keep an eye on them. I can start with small mudminnows and then put them in a different setup if they get too big.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store