120 Gallon Saltwater Tank Questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jshep105

AC Members
Jan 29, 2012
USA
Real Name
James
You need live rock to seed dry rock but not to cycle it. The bacteria you are trying to grow on dry rock will populate on its own once a food source (ammonia) is introduced to the tank and the tank cycles via that food source. Having a few lbs of LR will (1) help speed the process because some bacteria will already be present on the LR and (2) you will (assuming its good quality LR) introduce organisms that you would not have with dry rock alone. Pods (copepods, amphipods, isopods) micro stars, feather dusters, etc are just some of the beneficial things you gain by using LR (of course there are other ways to introduce those as well but LR is a great way to do it. However, LR does provide the opportunity for some bad things to be introduced (aptasia, bad isopods (not common), colonial hydroids, etc.) IMO/IME, having the diveristy that LR provides in your system is invaluable to the health and grwoth of your system and outways any potential risk for bad hitchhikers. Another way to help intoduce diverisity is by adding some macro algae and/or some sand from an established system, although you won't "seed" as much bacteria verus using a few lbs of good quality LR. Or you can buy "packages" which contain pods, stars and the like but those are typically expensive. There are a number of places to get good LR online or if you have a Petco around you they now sell Walt Smith maricultured figi rock.
Ok thank you very much I understand this a lot more now

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jshep105

AC Members
Jan 29, 2012
USA
Real Name
James
I have another question that is probably dumb but can you buy these overflow boxes as pictured here:
ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1332208512.899986.jpg
I know you can buy HOB overflow boxes but I rather have the ones as pictured but the tank I am buying does not have them.

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1332208512.899986.jpg

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
It'd be cheaper and easier to get a tank with one installed, rather then install one yourself. Those are not like the HOB overflows. Each overflow has two holes drilled into the bottom of the glass, one for drain and one for return.

Plus if the tank is tempered glass you won't be able to drill it anyways after you get it. Some are only tempered on the bottom so you can drill the back if that is the case. But either way, not fun drilling a 120 if you aren't experienced in it. Voids the warranty and is an expensive repair if a mistake is made.

amazon4

AC Members
Mar 14, 2012
Arlington, MA
Hi

Just wanted to jump in here - love the thread. Glad to see you're looking at everything. Nothing good comes from rushing in to the SW hobby!

+1 to the super reef octopuss w/bubble blaster. Everyone I know who runs them has been very impressed. We changed out our pump to a bubble blaster and it made a huge difference (ASM). So keep this one in your line up if you can.

When looking at tanks, pay attention to the cross/support piece. They cast a shadow. I've seen people cut them out and replace with acrylic. Just something to be aware of since you're tank shopping. There are lots of manufacturers out there.

If you pick up dry rock to save some $$ (good idea!) make sure you cure it before you put it in the tank. This will get rid of lots of the crud you really don't want to add in to your tank. Especially if you're not running a skimmer yet.

If you have room to have a sump, I'd recommend it. It's some place to run all the other equipment, heaters, skimmer, reactor(s), etc. and not have things hanging off of, or stuck in to, your tank. Use that valuable real estate for your fish and corals. So if you are going to use I sump, I would recommend a drilled tank - tanks with external overflows seem to more easily fail from a blockage or suction loss. (= water on the floor)

A great way to save money, apart from watching craigslist, is to find an area club. Good deals on used equipment can be had long before they appear on craigslist from other hobbiests. People are always finding excuses to upgrade ;-) I've seen 180g's given away. Either from upgrading, or getting out of the hobby, just come get it...

Which leads me to...get the biggest tank you can manage...cuz you're going to want bigger. And if you want tangs, they'll need the room (length).

It can be done relatively inexpensively if you are patient and can wait for those opportunities.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
^Good advice! Definitely agree to go ahead and buy a drilled tank. It will cost you $100+ more when buying new. Another option if you are certain the glass pane you want holes in is not tempered...

http://www.glass-holes.com/Complete-Overflow-Kits_c3.htm

While drilling glass is not all that difficult , I don't think I would have the stones to drill a $400 tank.

jshep105

AC Members
Jan 29, 2012
USA
Real Name
James
Thank you all for all the information it really helped.

Ok so today I ordered the RO/DI Filter from the filter guys. I also purchased (2) 250W aqueon pro heaters and enough instant ocean salt to treat 160 gallons from amazon. As for the tank, one of my local Petsmart has a 120 gallon 60"X18"X22" with canopy and light for $350. They also have a 150 gallon "48"X24"X30" with canopy, light and a under gravel filter for $530. I can order a drilled 120 gallon "48X24"X24" tank with two overflows from Petco but it only comes with the tank and overflows and costs $700. It will also take about 2 weeks to be delivered to the store. As nice as a drilled tank would be, i am leaning more towards the 120 or 150 from Petsmart and just buy a HOB external overflow box. I would like to hear what you guys think I should do. Thanks

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
$700 is way high for that tank. If that's your only avenue to get a tank, I would probably go with the 5-foot 120. The length and depth of the 150 sound good but lighting and cleaning a 30" tall tank would hold me back I think. They really make an UG filter for a 150 gallon tank!?

I run a HOB overflow on my breeder and I can honestly say I like it. If you set them up correctly, they work very well. Most people worry about floods because if the box loses siphon, you can have a overfill of the DT from the sump return (until it runs dry). Also, since many only have one drain, if it were to clog, you would also have an issue. The same argument could be made for a single drain drilled tank. If you go with a HOB, I highly recommend you go with a "U" tube box made by either Lifereef or eshopps and avoid boxes that require an aqualifter pump like the CPR. If the pump on those units fail or fail to restart after a power outage, you will have a flood.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
No other stores in the area?

I believe the Perfecto and AGA 120RR (drilled) usually go for $500-$550. If you can find a store that stocks Deep Blue Professional products ask them about promotions. My Deep Blue 120RR was $400 because of a promotion at the time.

Tanks are odd like that though. A 125 is often cheaper (especially drilled) then a 120. I wouldn't do the 150XH (the 30" tall one). It is difficult enough reaching the bottom of a 24" tall 120 on stand.

jshep105

AC Members
Jan 29, 2012
USA
Real Name
James
$700 is way high for that tank. If that's your only avenue to get a tank, I would probably go with the 5-foot 120. The length and depth of the 150 sound good but lighting and cleaning a 30" tall tank would hold me back I think. They really make an UG filter for a 150 gallon tank!?

I run a HOB overflow on my breeder and I can honestly say I like it. If you set them up correctly, they work very well. Most people worry about floods because if the box loses siphon, you can have a overfill of the DT from the sump return (until it runs dry). Also, since many only have one drain, if it were to clog, you would also have an issue. The same argument could be made for a single drain drilled tank. If you go with a HOB, I highly recommend you go with a "U" tube box made by either Lifereef or eshopps and avoid boxes that require an aqualifter pump like the CPR. If the pump on those units fail or fail to restart after a power outage, you will have a flood.
Yea $700 sounded ridiculous to me. Those are the only tanks around that I could find. I really have not LFS's so I might have to call around and for the right price I'll drive a few hours to get a tank. And about the under gravel filter, I couldn't believe they made one for a 150 gallon tank either. I was like seriously?!? Thank you for the info on the HOB overflows.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store