120 Gallon Saltwater Tank Questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jshep105

AC Members
Jan 29, 2012
USA
Real Name
James
No other stores in the area?

I believe the Perfecto and AGA 120RR (drilled) usually go for $500-$550. If you can find a store that stocks Deep Blue Professional products ask them about promotions. My Deep Blue 120RR was $400 because of a promotion at the time.

Tanks are odd like that though. A 125 is often cheaper (especially drilled) then a 120. I wouldn't do the 150XH (the 30" tall one). It is difficult enough reaching the bottom of a 24" tall 120 on stand.
No other stores nearby. I might have to call around and drive a few hours to get the right one for the right price. I guess I'll just keep looking. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jshep105

AC Members
Jan 29, 2012
USA
Real Name
James
Alright I have a few more questions if you guys don't mind me asking.

With the RO/DI filter, can I add the water from the filter directly into my freshwater tank? Or do I still have to add seachem prime? Also when I get the saltwater tank, all I will have to do is filter the water through the filter and add salt right? Sorry I don't really understand how the filter works. I ordered the: OCEAN WAVE FIVE STAGE 75 GPD RO/DI from The Filter Guys if that makes a difference.

Also does anyone have any good stocking lists? I definitely want to add some clownfish and tangs but what else? And I have come to the realization that I can only have two clowns, correct? Or does that only apply to the same species of clownfish?

Thank you in advance :)

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
There will be no chlorine in your RO/DI. Yes, that is all you will do. RO is a process of pushing water through a mebrane to remove impurities, minerals, etc. The DI component further removes ions to make the water 99%+ pure.

Only 2 clowns are there are no suitable tangs for a 36" tank (sorry, I am in the same boat). You can mix every species but some can be mixed. Percula and Ocellaris are the 2 most commonly mixed.

jshep105

AC Members
Jan 29, 2012
USA
Real Name
James
There will be no chlorine in your RO/DI. Yes, that is all you will do. RO is a process of pushing water through a mebrane to remove impurities, minerals, etc. The DI component further removes ions to make the water 99%+ pure.

Only 2 clowns are there are no suitable tangs for a 36" tank (sorry, I am in the same boat). You can mix every species but some can be mixed. Percula and Ocellaris are the 2 most commonly mixed.
Ok thank you. And you said there are no suitable clowns for a 36" tank, what about a 48" (length) tank? Or 60"? (length)

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Ok thank you. And you said there are no suitable clowns for a 36" tank, what about a 48" (length) tank? Or 60"? (length)

Clowns are fine in that size tank. It is Tangs that'll be the issue.

I think Greech mixed tank size up with another thread. But what he said still applies to 48" and 60" tanks. I think there is one Tang that qualifies (I'm not up on the species but I'm sure someone around here has the chart... :D) but everything else is going to want more swimming room. If you want Tangs you should really be looking at at least a 125 (72"x18"x24"). They are all about swimming distance (tank length).

jshep105

AC Members
Jan 29, 2012
USA
Real Name
James
Clowns are fine in that size tank. It is Tangs that'll be the issue.

I think Greech mixed tank size up with another thread. But what he said still applies to 48" and 60" tanks. I think there is one Tang that qualifies (I'm not up on the species but I'm sure someone around here has the chart... :D) but everything else is going to want more swimming room. If you want Tangs you should really be looking at at least a 125 (72"x18"x24"). They are all about swimming distance (tank length).
Yea that was a typo i meant to say: tangs not clowns in my last post.

And well clownfish and tangs were really the only SW fish I was interested in so now that makes me think. What If I got a 28/29 gallon nano/bio cube and made it FOWLR and put two clownfish in it? Would that work? And then make a planted FW community tank with the 120 or 150 gallon tank. The price for both tanks and setups will probably equal up to around the same price as a SW 120 gallon tank. What are your ideas and thoughts? Thank you.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
That could work.

Otherwise ill track down that chart tomorrow if no one else can. Not gonna be on an actual computer till then, but I know there is one Tang that'll work in a 48" tank.

Just about all of the small/medium sized clowns should work in the smaller tank idea though. Only limit may be if you want a Maroon Clown, otherwise everything else should work.

jshep105

AC Members
Jan 29, 2012
USA
Real Name
James
That could work.

Otherwise ill track down that chart tomorrow if no one else can. Not gonna be on an actual computer till then, but I know there is one Tang that'll work in a 48" tank.

Just about all of the small/medium sized clowns should work in the smaller tank idea though. Only limit may be if you want a Maroon Clown, otherwise everything else should work.
Ok. And I was thinking of just The Black and White Ocellaris Clownfish and The True Percula Clownfish. The only problem is I have to convince my parents into letting me get the 28/29 gallon tank as it will be my fourth tank and it was hard enough to get them to say yes to the 120.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Only going to say this once :). If you go and setup a 29 gallon FOWLR when you have the opportunity to setup a 120+ gallon, you will regret it. Throw your plants in the 29 with some fertlizer and lets get back to reality here :).

The bristletooth tangs, kole tangs, mimics and even a yellow tangs are fine for a 4-foot 120, IMO.

Sorry I confused things earler. Could have swore you were doing a 46 gallon bowfront :).

jshep105

AC Members
Jan 29, 2012
USA
Real Name
James
Only going to say this once :). If you go and setup a 29 gallon FOWLR when you have the opportunity to setup a 120+ gallon, you will regret it. Throw your plants in the 29 with some fertlizer and lets get back to reality here :).

The bristletooth tangs, kole tangs, mimics and even a yellow tangs are fine for a 4-foot 120, IMO.

Sorry I confused things earler. Could have swore you were doing a 46 gallon bowfront :).
Yea I know but a 120 gallon SW tank is just so expensive. For the livestock I wanted to get a blue tang, yellow tang, two clownfish, and whatever other fish looked cool to me. But now I guess I can't keep tangs in that size tank except for the yellow. And since it's my first SW tank I kind of want to start off small and not risk it all. So if I could get a small SW tank and a large FW tank, for the same price as just a large SW tank then that sounds good to me. But I still have a lot of thinking to do...

1 SW 120 Gallon Tank VS. 1 FW 120 Gallon Tank and 1 SW 28 Gallon Tank

Option #1-
120 Gallon SW Aquarium

60X18X26 Tank: $350
Lighting: $150
Protein Skimmer: $200
Powerhead: $50
Dry Rock: $300
40 Gallon Breeder Tank: $50
Sump Supplies: $100
Sand: $100

Grand Total Cost: $1,300