120 Gallon Saltwater Tank Questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AfishIonado

AC Members
Feb 26, 2012
Oklahoma
I'm in the process of making my 46 gal hex tank a SW tank and it's already cost me a pretty penny and I'm not even done yet, I have a FW 55 gal and it didn't cost near as much... Although why spend all that money on both salt and freshwater why not just go for a SW setup and make it real nice

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
I would qualify your costs analysis to say that IF you have the willpower to resist upgrading the 29 gallon you have planned then yes, there is a considerable cost difference between a 120 and a 29. However, if the same equipment is purchased for a 29 and a 120, there really will not be a significant difference. The main price point to consider when going with a nano versus a large system is the price of the tank/stand itself and some increase in maintenance costs (more salt mix required). Buying larger lights, larger skimmers and pumps is really just a small percentage above the cost of the same smaller equipment you would buy for a nano. Just my $0.02.

jshep105

AC Members
Jan 29, 2012
USA
Real Name
James
I would qualify your costs analysis to say that IF you have the willpower to resist upgrading the 29 gallon you have planned then yes, there is a considerable cost difference between a 120 and a 29. However, if the same equipment is purchased for a 29 and a 120, there really will not be a significant difference. The main price point to consider when going with a nano versus a large system is the price of the tank/stand itself and some increase in maintenance costs (more salt mix required). Buying larger lights, larger skimmers and pumps is really just a small percentage above the cost of the same smaller equipment you would buy for a nano. Just my $0.02.
Ok thank you very much. I will take that into consideration. Decisions...decisions...I have a lot of thinking to do.

jshep105

AC Members
Jan 29, 2012
USA
Real Name
James
Ok so if any of you still care, I ended up making my 120 gallon tank FW which can be seen here: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?261620-My-New-120H-Aquarium

So that means I still have to get a SW tank. Right now I am thinking about buying a 40G Breeder instead of using my 29G tank. I think it will be worth it in the long run. I cannot get this tank until I get rid of the random FW tropical fish that are in my 29G tank now as my parents will not allow more than 3 tanks. I really don't know what to do with them. I am going to see if Petsmart or Petco will take them and if not, I guess it's just back to the drawing board.

So anyways instead of creating a new thread I am trying to see if I can just use this one although the title is going to be misleading now...I already have a RO/DI Filter and Instant Ocean salt but that's pretty much all I have for the salt water tank. I will need to buy the 40G Breeder (I am really hoping for a $1/Gallon sale soon) and either buy or make a stand or it. I do not think I am going to go with a sump but that could change. I would like to run a protein skimmer though and maybe a HOB refugium later down the road. The tank will be FOWLR. As for filtration I will most likely be going with a AquaClear 70. I will also be using probably 3 or so Koralia Nano powerheads for water circulation. I would like to hear what you guys recommend for a HOB Protein Skimmer for that size tank. Also will will the AC70 be sufficient? And what media should I put in it?

As for the livestock I know I will be getting (2) clown fish but that's all I really know as of now. Suggestions here are appreciated :)

Thanks in advance

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Petsmart and Petco will not take them. Do you have a locally owned fish store that can take them?

If you can at all do it, just run the sump. If you already have an AC filter then ok but you can use the 29 you have for the sump, the overflow box will cost you less than an AC 70 or 110 and then all you need is a return pump and some PVC. The sump will allow you to run a very good in-sump skimmer, include a refugium in your sump design (if you want) and you can also run filter media (as needed) in filter bags or reactors.

If you can't do the sump, look into the Reef Octopus HOB skimmers or consider something like the Tunze 9002 (or larger) skimmer (small skimmer that sits in the tank). You will want to get a prefilter box with the HOB skimmer for surface skimming or in the case of the Tunze consider buying the "nano pack" or "reef pack" (larger versions) which will inlude a filter with surface skimmer. You can buy surface skimming attachments for the AC filters. They are kind of ugly to look at but they do work pretty well.

Buy 2 Koralia Evolution 750s for FOWLR or possible a 1050 + a 750. The 3 nanos isn't going to cut it for a FOWLR. They'll keep your fish alive but they will do little or nothing to suspend waste and move water through your rock (your biological filter).

jshep105

AC Members
Jan 29, 2012
USA
Real Name
James
Petsmart and Petco will not take them. Do you have a locally owned fish store that can take them?

If you can at all do it, just run the sump. If you already have an AC filter then ok but you can use the 29 you have for the sump, the overflow box will cost you less than an AC 70 or 110 and then all you need is a return pump and some PVC. The sump will allow you to run a very good in-sump skimmer, include a refugium in your sump design (if you want) and you can also run filter media (as needed) in filter bags or reactors.

If you can't do the sump, look into the Reef Octopus HOB skimmers or consider something like the Tunze 9002 (or larger) skimmer (small skimmer that sits in the tank). You will want to get a prefilter box with the HOB skimmer for surface skimming or in the case of the Tunze consider buying the "nano pack" or "reef pack" (larger versions) which will inlude a filter with surface skimmer. You can buy surface skimming attachments for the AC filters. They are kind of ugly to look at but they do work pretty well.

Buy 2 Koralia Evolution 750s for FOWLR or possible a 1050 + a 750. The 3 nanos isn't going to cut it for a FOWLR. They'll keep your fish alive but they will do little or nothing to suspend waste and move water through your rock (your biological filter).
Yea I just got back from petsmart. I asked them while I was there and they said no. I do have a LFS about 20 minutes away but I forgot to ask when I was there last. I'll call them when I get the chance.

I will probably end up going with a sump because then I could hide everything. I was looking at the CPR CS100 (800gph) overflow. It costs about $110 plus $16 for the lifter pump. And the eshopps PF-800 is $53ish. Do you have one that you would recommend? I would probably have the sump set up so it goes through filter socks, then through the refugium, and lastly the skimmer. What skimmer would you recommend for in sump?

Ok I will keep this is mind if I decide to not go with a sump...again haha.

Ok well I currently have one Koralia 3 750gph powerhead. So I will probably just get another.

Thanks for all that information it helped a lot :) Is there an online place to buy premade baffles for sumps?

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Not aware of any vendors for premade baffles but if you have a glass shop in your area, they should be able to cut some for you. I had mine cut for about $5/each.

You can run the sump the way you have it but it is typically better to place the skimmer in the same chamber as the drain line(s). This will help ensure it is pulling in as much waste as possible. Typical sump layout is drain/skimmer>fuge>return. Another popular option is drain/skimmer>return<fuge. The latter is accomplished by "T-ing" off the return line in the middle and running a pipe over to the fuge. There is usually a valve in that line which allows you to adjust the flow to the fuge area.

Personally there is no way I would trust a CPR HOB overfloe or any HOB that requires an aqualifter pump to maintain a siphon. If that pump fails you will have a flood. The eshopps has worked very well for me. There is a risk anytime you move water from one tank to another and HOBs sometime get a bad rap because people don;t take the time to think through their drain/return design. If you go with a HOB, I will be happy to show you how I did mine. The other option is to drill the tank. Again, your glass shop can do this for you for very little money. You could them look into the gl*******s.com (Glass Holes) overflows or even consider the "beananimal" or "herbie" drains. Those last two are pretty much the safest drain setups out there. Just depends how far you want to go.

I run a SWC 120 and have zero complaints. Quiet, easy to clean and skims like crazy. The reef octopus with the bubble blaster pumps are really nice. Those two are a little oversized but allows you some flexibility to upgrade. A Bubble Magus NAC 3 or Vertex IN-80 are just about perfect for a 60ish gallon system.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store