125G overstocked?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BeelzeBob

-CHAUVINIST PIG-
Mar 18, 2006
Boulder, Co.
your tank will be overstocked.

like pufferpunk pointed out 300gal + for monos

and both monos and the cats NEED full SW conditions when they mature.
id say no, but thats just like my opinion.

plus, with a tank that big, you could do a lot more

and if you want schooling fish in a brackish tank take the sharks to you lfs and get some fancy guppies and mollies.

Last edited:

mcox3

Veritas Aequitas
Dec 26, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
and both monos and the cats NEED full SW conditions when they mature.
So for sure they need full SW? I've read many conflicting articles and some say they're mainly fresh, some say brackish and some say full salt. I read they're born in fresh and make their way to full salt and then return to fresh.

and if you want schooling fish in a brackish tank take the sharks to you lfs and get some fancy guppies and mollies.
if i took the sharks back that would eliminate the need for a brackish tank.

BeelzeBob

-CHAUVINIST PIG-
Mar 18, 2006
Boulder, Co.
fo sure no dobt, count on it.

the only reason that they return to FW is to lay eggs, jiz, and die.

that wont be happenin in your tank, which is too small in the first place.

(or you can do what i do and assure they will have a home when your tank is no longer comfortable. get them small watch them grow, and let them go... to a bigger tank)

i read about monos in a species book at my lfs and the library. better info than the net.

and you do realize that those "sharks" are like most cat fish. they get huge, and eat like nothin else. 3 of those will eat a 22 dollar brick of krill in one sitting once they get much larger that 8''.

here is my suggestion;

black sand and a whole lot of lace rock.

get 100 lil fish like mollies, fancy, guppies, bumblebee gobies etc.

then get a brackish moray.

hose fish would stoink non stop, so your fry could feed the moray. also, ghost shrimp will tolorate brackish water as well.

so imagine a big *** tank with all sorts of schools of little colorful fish, and a bad *** moray chillin with a belly full.

BeelzeBob

-CHAUVINIST PIG-
Mar 18, 2006
Boulder, Co.
yea, i had one for like 2 years. when i got him, he was less than an inch.

when he died he was like 10". he alone would eat;

50-100 guppies a week

4 cubes of mysis, bw, brine, etc a night

and like six litters of molly fry.

i didntt really realize how much i was spending on just that fool until he died.

for all 5 fish and my moray, i spend about half what i used too.

polypterus101

AC Members
May 6, 2007
Where are the rest of the fish in the 125g going? Bala sharks should really be in schools(5-6) and that would take up a 210g+ alone. The pangasius catfish need a big pond to have enough swimming space and to be in a healthy condition. I say get rid of the pangasius catfish and columbians. If you really want a brack tank keep a tank with puffers,etc.

mcox3

Veritas Aequitas
Dec 26, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
yeah, i'm just growing out all of my fish in the 125 for now. looking to get a 200+ for the columbians and a 300+ pangs and the rest of the crew.

polypterus101

AC Members
May 6, 2007
The pangasius catfish will need atleast a 1000g to be happy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store