125G overstocked?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BeelzeBob

-CHAUVINIST PIG-
Mar 18, 2006
Boulder, Co.
yea powerheads are where its at.

like, in a reef tank, there is no filtration other than the live rocks and the deep sand bed. you just need flow to reep the benifits of such.

id do a deeeeeeeeep sand bed in your tank, and like one or two canisters with 3-5 power heads.

more flow = better natural filtration via the nitrogen cycle.

in your situation, since you might be gradually bumping your Sg up to full marine over time, maybe, possibly...

id suggest a DSB and a bunch of lace rock for now. as you get closer to marine, you could start to seed your lace rock with bits of live rock once you hit about 1.020.

mcox3

Veritas Aequitas
Dec 26, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
right on. i went and bought 5 bags of black marine sand the other day, i know i'll need more, but that stuff is pricey!

the back of my tank is painted black too, so i think it'll look sweet!

well thanks for the tips BGB...

i'll keep you all posted...

12 Volt Man

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
Ontario Canada
one thing people seem to forget when looking at adult sizes of fish is competition for food.

it holds fish down, esp. aggressive eaters like monos.

If you get a school of monos, youi will find it very difficult to grow them all up to 10+ inches. Competition for food amongst each other often prevents them from getting full size.

unless you are powerfeeding 5x per day. and in order to do that, you would have to do big water changes daily too.

I have had my monos (I have 4 of them) in my 65 for 4 years now.

they are healthy and very aggressive eaters. They are all 6 inches long. Which is a nice size.

I think the stocking list is fine in a 125.

I also grew up a big columbian to 9 inches. It took about a year and a half.

I am trying to get some shots of my monos for the pics board, but they are so quick.

You can sort of see them here in the 'blue tank' which is a 65.

Like I said, in a big tank like a 125 you should be fine.

IMG_0197 (2) - Copy.JPG

mcox3

Veritas Aequitas
Dec 26, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
one thing people seem to forget when looking at adult sizes of fish is competition for food.

it holds fish down, esp. aggressive eaters like monos.

If you get a school of monos, youi will find it very difficult to grow them all up to 10+ inches. Competition for food amongst each other often prevents them from getting full size.

unless you are powerfeeding 5x per day. and in order to do that, you would have to do big water changes daily too.

they are healthy and very aggressive eaters. They are all 6 inches long. Which is a nice size.

I also grew up a big columbian to 9 inches. It took about a year and a half.

I am trying to get some shots of my monos for the pics board, but they are so quick.

You can sort of see them here in the 'blue tank' which is a 65.

Like I said, in a big tank like a 125 you should be fine.

awesome. i should be alright seeing as how i'll be keeping them in a 210 instead. thanks bud.

mcox3

Veritas Aequitas
Dec 26, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
i went to my LFS, well not so local, but anyways, they had archers!

it was so hard not to take one home... 12 bucks! they're amazing.

webdesigner

AC Members
Mar 18, 2007

12 Volt Man: mcox3 is inquiring about mono sebaes which get larger than your mono argentus. while mono sebaes may only get as long as the argentus they can grow up to a foot and a half tall. As such, they require a minimum tank depth of 2 feet.

mcox3: That stocking list is obscene. Go with the columbians or pick just one of your other candidates, trade in the remaining monsters and spend your credit on good sand, some brackish plants and some live-bearers. If you get a small sebae you can probably breed sword tails, mollies or guppies alongside them which would create a really beautiful display and plenty of food for what would then definetely grow to be a show fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store