225 Plywood Build...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
Nice project........:)

7faces

Noob DIY'er
Mar 22, 2008
St.Louis
thanks, its been alot of fun!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Looks like a nice start...sure hope that isn't bowed....

7faces

Noob DIY'er
Mar 22, 2008
St.Louis
i just put a straight edge across it, and it is bowed 3/16 of an inch...
so i guess the camera makes it look worse..
the back is bowed a bit more than that, but with a full ton of water in a plywood box, I expect a little bowing at the top.
that peice may have even been bowed before assembly, wood is never true, but i dunno.
i dont see it being a big problem, is it?
its been filled for 3 days now, and "knock on wood" no seepage or leaks yet...(no pun intended)
and thanks for noticing it! ..thats what i was hoping to get from the pics!

kcress

AC Members
Apr 9, 2005
Wow. Pretty neat job.
Thanks for the camera too.

I once decided I was sick of small batches of change water. I <whipped> up a plywood tank about 4 feet deep and lined it with plastic,(a royal pain).

I filled it up with excitement. When it got about 2-1/2ft deep it started to bow a little. 3-1/2ft deep - more bowed. 3-1/2ft and one inch the bottom blew out! FLOOD! At least it was outside so no harm. I gained much knowledge and respect for plywood tank builds from my mini-disaster.

Yours looks pretty solid. But I think Dunneen's suggestion is what I'd do..

7faces

Noob DIY'er
Mar 22, 2008
St.Louis
Yeah, from the info ive read, they dont suggest going over 24 inches deep...im guessing thats why. i really wanted it 30 deep, but kinda glad i didnt now..I cant reach the bottom as is.
Ill have to build a catwalk or something.
As for the camera...i set out to buy a cheapo...:headshake2:
ill just say it wasn't....but it does have a setting for shooting through glass!... I wonder where that will come in use.:grinyes:
And yeah, im gonna try to resist the urge to drain it as long as i can...
i still have one more weir box to build, bulkhead holes to plan, and the closed loop system to figure out, so untill that is done, i guess it will stay filled..
i really think if the water were soaking into the wood, it would have swollen by now. but better to be safe than sorry i guess..
new impeller and cover is comming for my return pump (mag drive 24) early this week. so if i can decide on a skimmer, i could build the sump as well...
Then again, i have alot of rock to make and it will all need to be fresh water cured...
I wonder... can i start my cycle with freshwater, while my man made rock cures?.. that would kill 2 birds with one stone!

kcress

AC Members
Apr 9, 2005
Hey just because the wood doesn't swell doesn't mean water in the wood won't become a disaster. Water that just gets into the wood at bulkhead holes can cause eventual delamination. So don't just look for swelling. And make sure you line the holes with epoxy!

journey0820

AC Members
Jan 31, 2008
You are a very brave man/woman. Wow...talk about a DIY. Whew.

Solastsummer

AC Members
Feb 2, 2008
wow... where in STL are you? i just wanna know so i can watch the news to see if there are any reports of house flooding!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store