225 Plywood Build...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

7faces

Noob DIY'er
Mar 22, 2008
St.Louis
Hey just because the wood doesn't swell doesn't mean water in the wood won't become a disaster. Water that just gets into the wood at bulkhead holes can cause eventual delamination. So don't just look for swelling. And make sure you line the holes with epoxy!
well, im out of epoxy, and i cant order a small enough ammount to do the holes..smallest ammount is around $90.00.. so i figured id silicone the bulkhead at the gastket surface, and around it once its in, and ill smear some inside the hole on the bare wood... hope it works..
and yeah, im waiting to seal the outside (with extreme weather acrylic) so i can watch for any seepage...

7faces

Noob DIY'er
Mar 22, 2008
St.Louis
wow... where in STL are you? i just wanna know so i can watch the news to see if there are any reports of house flooding!
Im actually in St.Charles..just outside St.Louis...

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I would not seal the outside, just paint it. If you completely seal the outside, and the inner epoxy starts leaking, there's a possibility that the outside sealing will hold in the water and the tank will rot before you even know its leaking, until the whole thing breaks down all at once.

kcress

AC Members
Apr 9, 2005
I would totally agree with that. If a leak starts you really want to be able to notice it SOON.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Exactly. I used latex Kilz on the outside of mine to protect the wood from splashes, etc but if the tank ever does leak, the paint won't contain it so hopefully I'll notice it before it causes larger problems.

7faces

Noob DIY'er
Mar 22, 2008
St.Louis
Thanks scooternerd..
what i have for the outside is a normal exterior housepaint..acrylic latex...
its not on it now, while i watch for leaks...but i want to use it to keep it from drawing moisture from the humid fish room..
i believe it was richard from TBS who told me his plywood tank lasted 20 years untill it had finally drawn moisture from not being sealed, to warp and start leaking.
im guessing that a latex would prevent splashes from soaking in, yet would blister and peel once the wood it is attached to became wet..thus informing me of a problem..
you think that will be ok?
5 days dry and counting! ...fingers still crossed
you got pics of yours sploke?

7faces

Noob DIY'er
Mar 22, 2008
St.Louis
Well, its been 3 whole weeks now, and it looks like all is well...
ill get some pics posted this weekend of my weir boxes and man made rock...
ive made almost 50 pounds so far, and am in the final purchasing and planning stages for the closed loop system..im getting excited!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store