225 Plywood Build...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
awesome looking good.

7faces

Noob DIY'er
Mar 22, 2008
St.Louis
pic update

ok, heres a pic update for anyone interested...

the peices of my weir box clamped into the jig for silicone
Clamped in.JPG
the semi finished weir (still needs gutter guard at the top)
weir box.JPG

And heres some pics of the man made, soon to be live rock ive been making over the last week..

front of pile.JPG
Basck of pile .JPG
P5010017.JPG
P5010018.JPG
P5010019.JPG
P5010020.JPG
P5010021.JPG
P5010022.JPG

that is about 50 Lbs of rock, and i just got some more oyster shell for the next batch.
Ill probably use 200 Lbs man made rock, and 100Lbs real live rock, wich will only give me about 1 pound per gallon to start with.
The man made rock is much lighter and more porus than real live rock, so im hoping that it will be enough to do the job....

Clamped in.JPG weir box.JPG front of pile.JPG Basck of pile .JPG P5010017.JPG P5010018.JPG P5010019.JPG P5010020.JPG P5010021.JPG P5010022.JPG

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Nice, I've got about 30-40lbs of diy liverock curing now. I'm hoping its almost done - make sure you soak it long enough to cure it properly so it doesn't throw your pH off when it goes in the tank. Mine's been curing for more than 2 months and it still jacks the pH up to 12.

RichardA

Bettas are not a college frat
May 3, 2008
Oklahoma
Wow, very nice!

I would install 2x4 braces all the way around the top to prevent the minor bowing from becoming, "wow, where did all this water come from?".

7faces

Noob DIY'er
Mar 22, 2008
St.Louis
Nice, I've got about 30-40lbs of diy liverock curing now. I'm hoping its almost done - make sure you soak it long enough to cure it properly so it doesn't throw your pH off when it goes in the tank. Mine's been curing for more than 2 months and it still jacks the pH up to 12.
yeah, being a new tank and all, meaning i have no life whatsoever in it, im not exactly sure how i wanna do this... its cureing right now, and once all the tank plumbing is done, i planned on putting in the sand, and aquascaping the tank... then filling it with ro saltwater, and start the cycling while the rock continues to cure.. ad just not add anything living untill the cycle is done, and the ph is normal.
Think this would be ok?:confused:
Can we get some pics of your rock?... i just hope mine looks pretty natural, ive seen some that others make, and it looks great, and i could always use more ideas for shapes

7faces

Noob DIY'er
Mar 22, 2008
St.Louis
Wow, very nice!

I would install 2x4 braces all the way around the top to prevent the minor bowing from becoming, "wow, where did all this water come from?".
Thanks for the kind regards. i drained the tank last night, and will let it sit while i plumb it, and recheck the area in question... like i said, it may have been bowed even before assembly.. but if not, 2x4's are a good idea!..thanks

RichardA

Bettas are not a college frat
May 3, 2008
Oklahoma
Looking forward to seeing this thing in action!

scootrnerd

just another average loser
Jan 5, 2008
florida
www.myspace.com
Thanks for the kind regards. i drained the tank last night, and will let it sit while i plumb it, and recheck the area in question... like i said, it may have been bowed even before assembly.. but if not, 2x4's are a good idea!..thanks
or maybe an angle iron frame around the top?

kcress

AC Members
Apr 9, 2005
Hey if you haven't painted the outside yet STOP!

It just dawned on me you said exterior latex. I would not use that! Exterior latexes work on principal called ablation. If I remember correctly, they are supposed to slowly oxidize. Something to do with retaining their color I believe. This makes them very dusty. I painted a huge desk with that once. Man was I sorry. Every time I touched the bench my hands got white powder on them.

7faces

Noob DIY'er
Mar 22, 2008
St.Louis
Hey if you haven't painted the outside yet STOP!

It just dawned on me you said exterior latex. I would not use that! Exterior latexes work on principal called ablation. If I remember correctly, they are supposed to slowly oxidize. Something to do with retaining their color I believe. This makes them very dusty. I painted a huge desk with that once. Man was I sorry. Every time I touched the bench my hands got white powder on them.
yeah, the stuff i bought to seal the outside is called severe weather acrylic latex..not sure if there is a difference between latex and acrylic latex, but im glad you said something.. is there a place i can find more info on this ablation? i havent painted it yet, but was going to do that this week...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store