37 Gallon Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
Nice!:)

What about the extra filter?

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
scratch that, i actually got 4 small wisterias, not just one.

and about the extra filter, i might get one because all that crap is building up, especially on the top of the heater. I might get an undergravel filter... Im really confused now though. i need a good co2 system, a gravel vacuum, a python water changing thing, and maybe a undergravel filter? And i only have half of the back of my tank covered by plants, and barely any of my equipment is hidden...

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Adding an UGF filter after the fact is going to be a bigger hassle than it is worth. Plus, if you are really wanting to get the most out of adding CO2 then you want to aim for little to no surface agitation, otherwise you're just off-gassing the extra CO2 being dissolved in the water. A RUGF system would work however, again, trying to get the plates into position in an established tank isn't really worth it...at this point you would be best off getting a canister filter large enough to handle the entire bioload of the tank and eventually ditching the topfin HOB (which is also going to work against the CO2).

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
ya, i was just thinking that. Its already hard enough to get my anacharis and my cabombas to stay down...

oh, btw i replanted the anacharis and moved around a few cabombas, ill have pics up as soon as possible.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
If you r getting Co2, then don't get the filter I recommended as it has a powerful flow and gives a lot of water circulation. I would get the emperor maybe as you can control the flow rate. Or get an whisper quiet filter as it can be controlled.

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
well, the more water in the tank, the less movement the filter makes.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
wow, thats cheap!!!

Any other ideas for plants? I want something else than green. I tryed ludwigia once but it turned out to be difficult to keep. Any other hardy, background plants that aren't green?

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
wow, thats cheap!!!

Any other ideas for plants? I want something else than green. I tryed ludwigia once but it turned out to be difficult to keep. Any other hardy, background plants that aren't green?
Yeah, I know, it is really cheap, and works great, very nice filter, and has room for 4 filter cartridges(yeah, 4). My vals get really red at the tips in high light, and some other plants also get red in high light. There are some plants that are like hornwort, but they aren't hornwort, I forgot what they are called. Those plants have a few varieties of green, pink, and red.

Rotala rotundifolia isn't too hard to keep. The intensity of the light will determine how red it gets but even in lower light the top of the plant gets a reddish tint IME.
+1 on that, I love the red of it.
here is a pic of it in my tank

it is the really red one that is the tallest
IMG_0096.JPG
IMG_0095.JPG
IMG_0161.JPG

EDIT*
you can see the other hornwort type plant that is red that I was talking about in the last pic. Look right next to the rotala rotundifolia, it is on the right of it. Soft, bushy, hornwort like plant.

IMG_0096.JPG IMG_0095.JPG IMG_0161.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store