40g Breeder Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
an older roof would be more naturalized... ie: safer than a new one still heavily leaching chemicals. kinda scared me too... but i was in a position.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
That makes sense! I'll have to discuss that with my father, thanks.

froggsong

AC Members
Nov 10, 2009
You can also set up a rain collection center with a tarp and a screen to filter out solid stuff that falls in. Just suspend the tarp over a collection bin or barrel, cut a hole in the middle (well, you might want to do that first, lol...), and cover the hole with the screen. The tarp will allow for more area to collect water, and will work like a funnel to pour the water into the barrel.

40g breeder tanks are one of my faves to. I've recently set up a 75g, and I'm REALLY liking that size as well; it has similar proportions to the 40g breeders.

I think that piece of driftwood on the left would look great horizontal. If it doesn't fit to your liking, you can always cut it. I had pretty much all of my wood pieces vertical like in your pictures when they were in my 28g bowfront, but when we were filling the 75g, they fell over, and my husband and I really liked the way they fell. It looks really natural, and when I get more plants in there and they fill in, it will look like a partially buried log.

Can't wait to see what you decide for the wood. :)

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Thanks for the idea but there is no way my parents will let me put a rain tarp up in the yard. I am hoping I can have the barrel! They don't fully understand my fish & "green" addictions but they tolerate it fairly well. :D Although I do have my father convinced that HE wants solar panels! :thumbsup:

20g longs, 40g breeders & 75gs are my favorite standard sizes, good proportions.

The piece on the left is my favorite piece, I have had it horizontal in my 33g 2 different ways and love it. But I'd hate to cut it. :( Once the wood gets a little more waterlogged (again) I will play around again and see what I can do. Thank you everyone for your comments!! It is SO helpful!

Wood pointing right ( not including the lower long piece, that is separate)

Pointing left (also not the lower long piece)

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Well here are the rocks. A lot of dirt didn't wash off of a few pieces & a couple have a good amount of mineral deposits on them so the brownest ones I won't be using. The flash washed them out a lot too, especially my favorite 2 which are right in the middle.

No plants today but I will be overwhelmed with plants very soon.

Please feel free to give suggestions on stocking and general theme/layout ideas.

100_4301.JPG 100_4302.JPG

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I forgot I took a picture of the stand too. I took the doors off for painting and figured I'd wait until everything was installed before putting them back on. You can see the nasty brown color on the inside on the stand, well the outside was 10x worse, all cigarette tar stains! :yuck: It was horrible but now it matches the trim of my 56g perfectly, too bad I'm not using that tank at the moment. :D

100_4293.JPG

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
:iagree: to the right looks great! Niiice tank - looking forward to updates!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I agree too trouble is that the hex is 5" tall than this 40B which brought the end of the wood out of view, without the substrate even, which looked strange front and center. I guess I might have to cut the bottom of that piece off..... "dun dun DUN" :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store