40g Breeder Journal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

froggsong

AC Members
Nov 10, 2009
If you cut it, save the piece you cut off and glue it back on later if you want to use it in a taller tank... Just be sure to cut it carefully!

StarStruck8

AC Members
Jun 9, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Lindsay
yay new tank build thread!

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Eek! Well, soaking in the tank would soften it right? I want to cut my driftwood (it's like, 19" in total, different perspective I s'pose... :rolleyes:) but worry that it's so hard, and me without a power saw.

Don't forget eye protection... and gloves... and a first aid kit... and extra towels - y'know just in case. :1zhelp:

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
If you cut it, save the piece you cut off and glue it back on later if you want to use it in a taller tank... Just be sure to cut it carefully!
Not a bad idea but I don't think it'd be worth it. The wood is getting pretty soft already and probably wouldn't survive another tank after this one (I HOPE to keep this one awhile). So I may as well just cut it! Thanks for helping me figure that out. :lol2:
yay new tank build thread!
You can live vicariously through my threads. :)
Eek! Well, soaking in the tank would soften it right? I want to cut my driftwood (it's like, 19" in total, different perspective I s'pose... :rolleyes:) but worry that it's so hard, and me without a power saw.

Don't forget eye protection... and gloves... and a first aid kit... and extra towels - y'know just in case. :1zhelp:
lol....no worries I am fairly handy. :D

Going to go check the wood soaking progress right now!

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
I agree too trouble is that the hex is 5" tall than this 40B which brought the end of the wood out of view, without the substrate even, which looked strange front and center. I guess I might have to cut the bottom of that piece off..... "dun dun DUN" :)
WHAT!?!? :eek3:

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
No not you! :hitting:

Well I played with the wood some more, seems the more I play with it the less I like it. It is nearly water logged already though so that's good! :)

First I tried just seeing what other ways the "left piece" could go.

You are going to have to deal with flash because when it is this wet you can not see it at all with just overhead lighting, sorry.

Then I took the "left piece" out and replaced it with a smaller thinner version.

The left and right mounds look too different to me, unnatural.

Minor swap on the right side, a little better but the two piece interfere with each other in the middle.

Ehh, at this point I am just not feeling it anymore.

I am still playing though. BTW here is my favorite rock!

froggsong

AC Members
Nov 10, 2009
Flip the piece on the right upside down to look like roots growing down into the water. It looks unnatural with the branches going up, too much like you just stuck it there.

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
I like what you have set up on the left side I. The versions w/2formations... but prefer having it asymmetrical with only one side. But you may need bigger pieces for impact... Can you add more of the longer pieces from the right side to the left?

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I am so glad you guys are here to explain my feelings to me! I look at it and know I don't like it but can't figure out what I don't like and then you guys tell me, thanks. :) I agree with you both, I'll be back with more options!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store