48 x 24 x 18 Reef Log

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Paraboy

AC Members
Mar 27, 2008
Excellent as a newb its what ive been looking for i shal make it this post my SW bible, Does that make you god? lol

p.s thanks for help yesturday also as you said with your lr maybe doing job on ammonia could this be why mine has not spiked also as my lr looked to be very well established

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
Gahhhhh.....Currently waiting for some pure ammonia to arrive to test the tank...Thanks Schigara for the ammount suggestion....

All the diatom has gone now and the odd bit of green algae has formed in patches, which does suggest to me that its in the right direction..

Was given a coral yesterday, and is currently sitting in the nano...A rock "full" of rhodactis indosinensis...There is about 30 odd shrooms on the rock...here is a pic....I have some fragging to do ;)
Just let me know when you've fragged those little babies:grinyes:

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Excellent as a newb its what ive been looking for i shal make it this post my SW bible, Does that make you god? lol

p.s thanks for help yesturday also as you said with your lr maybe doing job on ammonia could this be why mine has not spiked also as my lr looked to be very well established
Thanks for the kind comments...I'll help anytime dude, just ask...And no, not a god, just a mear mortal serving the needs of the Monster Aquaria Network ;)

Yours could well be, however, doing as i mentioned will be your best step forward....

Just let me know when you've fragged those little babies:grinyes:

Concider it done Ali...I'll sort you 3 or 4 frags out on a lump of rock... ;)

Reefscape

Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
As an update, i tried the pure ammonia, as Schigara suggested on the ammount, and it goes....I put this in last night before i went to bed, tested the water this morning, all gone, so, within what, 8 hours, all converted through the process....This has confirmed my thoughts....Cleanup crew time me reckons very shortly...Ro water started off for a large water change....

journey0820

AC Members
Jan 31, 2008
I agree. Because the rock was from an established tank the beneficial bacteria has remained. A bit like when I upgraded my tank - just took it out of one and chucked it in another. I never had much of a cycle with that.

It will be interesting to see how it handles pure ammonia though!
This whole series of posts have been super helpful. My cycle has also been strange like this too and these explanations make sense.

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
Reefscape, if you don't mind I'd like to just point something out for any new folks to the hobby. Feel free to move or delete if you wish:grinyes:

As Reefscape has pointed out, his rock came from an established tank, which is why there was no real cycle. But he's let it run for a couple of weeks first to make sure, and adding the ammonia was to make absolutely sure.:grinyes:

My point is this: If someone sells you rock as fully cured, don't takle their word for it and start adding livestock. Let it settle for a couple of weeks and test on a regular basis to make sure. If you really want to know if your tank can handle the bio load, then put in som pure ammonia like Reefscape did to make sure. That way you'll know that your tank is truly ready to go and even then take it slowly.

Reefscape

Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Reefscape, if you don't mind I'd like to just point something out for any new folks to the hobby. Feel free to move or delete if you wish:grinyes:

As Reefscape has pointed out, his rock came from an established tank, which is why there was no real cycle. But he's let it run for a couple of weeks first to make sure, and adding the ammonia was to make absolutely sure.:grinyes:

My point is this: If someone sells you rock as fully cured, don't takle their word for it and start adding livestock. Let it settle for a couple of weeks and test on a regular basis to make sure. If you really want to know if your tank can handle the bio load, then put in som pure ammonia like Reefscape did to make sure. That way you'll know that your tank is truly ready to go and even then take it slowly.

Good post :headbang2:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store