55g tang ideas

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Thanks jpappy! As you have said a few times: I think I need more tanks!!!

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
What up RiftLakeRosco

Yep they are nice fins for sure but will be expensive.. I would love me some tropheus bemba..

rogersb

AC Members
Apr 9, 2008
I'd get 6 calvus juvies and wait for a pair to form. Easy to sex if you buy them all the same size and wait a year. The females will have a smaller form. I'd also stick with julis over leleupis. I like the leleupi, but they are so much meaner than a juli mal or similar smaller species. I also have multies in with my calvus with no problems. I haven't lost any and have a comp that's over 4 years and around 4" in with them. But that's my experience, I'm sure you'll find someone who's had bad experiences, so occies would probably be safer. Since the final stocking will be pairs of calvus and julis with shellies, you could probably fit in a non-jumbo cyp or paracyp group.

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
how does this sound.

n. multi
julidochromis transcriptus
julidochromis ornatus
julidochromis dickfeldi
and theres one more. i cant think of what they are called. i think its like clyps?

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Dude those Julido's will kill each other i would pick just one in the 55gal, but i do like what roger said on his stock list pretty sweet sounding..

I just got me some Oce's the other day 6 of them in a 20gal there pretty sweet and only paid 2 bucks a piece now thats awesome man..

The transcript's would be your best bet, i have a breeding pair in my 55gal shellie setup there pretty sweet..

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Not only that but they will breed and hybridize like crazy. Not good. Choose one species.

Personally I would not do cyprichromis in this size tank. 1) I don't see enough room for a proper school. Even the non-jumbos reach 4-5" as adults and you need a minimum of 10-12 for them to feel secure. 2) They are VERY expensive. Also, they do not ship well and are hard to acclimate. Unless you have a large budget don't go the cyp route.

Go with...

6 or so n. multi/occie/brevis/etc.
6 julidochromis sp. (remove others when a pair forms)

For a top dwelling species rainbows are my suggestion. They don't mind water high in TDS and shouldn't have a problem with the cichlids.

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
What about the calvus instead of the rainbows?

Tophat665

Minion of the Scaled Ones.
Jul 13, 2006
NoVa
Let me take you in an entirely different direction: Do a species tank of Neolamprologus brichardi or Pulcher. Put in 6 and they will fill the tank. They breed in multigenerational colonies.

For my money, when I was poking around a 55 Tang tank, I was thinking of putting a big rockplie on the phi spot, and trailing it along the back to a smaller rockpile against theside on the wide end, covering some halved 4" flowerpots. I'd put a sand field on each side (and since I Do do well with plants, I would plant vals behind and among the rocks to the back and put a fringe of Java Fern at the base of the big rockpile, java moss all over the small pile). On the short side substrate I would but a half dozen whelk or tulip shells and on the long side a dozen or more escargot or tulip shells. To this I would add a half dozen pair breeding shellies (Occs or Stapps), and a half dozen colonial Shellies (Multis, Brevis, or Simulus). Were I feeling wealthy, I'd add a trio of Synodontis petricola. Then I would add a half dozen Julies (and start up a 20 long to take the four that didn't pair). I'd go with transcriptus ideally, but my LFS has some beautiful regani "Kigama gold" that I would probably be unable to pass up if I were doiing it right now. I'd probably leave it there, but I would consider for the midwater a Black Calvus (which may or may not work), some Brichardis (again, I would seek better advice first) or, if I were feeling particularly saucy, a half dozen Bosemani or 8 praecox rainbows, or a male and three female marigold swordtails (that can also handle the iron-hard water.)

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Man Tophat you are making me want to setup a Brichardi 55gal .. sweet..

Hey efors those calvus would work and if i were to get some they would be juvies so that they take forever to grow, they take a few years to fully grow out so i would say they wouldnt be an issue, but they are mid to bottom water dwellers and prefer rocky habitats..

Later guys..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store