55g tang ideas

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mickitaz

AC Members
Nov 20, 2008
lost somewhere in my head
fwit...here is a pic of my occie tank.. it is a 30 gallon with 5 fish in it. I have always been interested in tangs.. specifically shellies. I finally was able to pick some up and set up a tank for them.. Good luck with your tank!

P1010016.JPG

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Cool tank mickitaz i like the black sand look, i too just set up a Occe tank 20gal with 6 Occe's there pretty sweet fish..

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Hey efors those calvus would work and if i were to get some they would be juvies so that they take forever to grow, they take a few years to fully grow out so i would say they wouldnt be an issue, but they are mid to bottom water dwellers and prefer rocky habitats..
Thanks for the info Pittbull! How many calvus juvies would you add in a 55gal with 6 Julies and 6 shellies?

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
3 tops even at an early age they still can be pretty nasty to each other..

I had 4 of them in a 55gal when they were only an inch in size with my shellies and Transcript's and they would get punked a few times a day but now mine are bigger and are in the 120gal along with 3 others for a total of 7 calvus..

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
i like the transcriptus the best. but i can only have one pair in the tank??? and i might do larger shell dwellers now that i think about it. maybe some occies and brevis would be nice. one colony on the left and one on the right with a large rock formation in the middle and terrace the back corners of the tank with shells going all the way up. and them probrobly praecox rainbows on the top of the tank. maybe something different if i can find them anywhere. how many rainbows should i get, im pretty sure at least 6 since they are schoolers(right?)

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
6-8 praecox would look nice.

Julidochromis are territorial and a pair will aggressively defend their turf, which could end up being an entire rock pile. I wouldn't go with any more than an established pair. Once they breed (which they will) they are good parents up until the offspring is large enough to become a threat. If you see any further aggression you will also need to remove fry.

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
this is visuallizing what the tank would look like. with the small brown dots being shells, or the area where the shells would be.

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
Don't try to raise the shell piles if that's what you are planning...shellies like to dig.
the shells will be inside the terrace, if that makes a difference

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store