75 Gallon Upgrade! Woo Hoo!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
sweeeet - man i am now so jealous dude i wish i could stroll out and find some rock like that would be awesome.. cant wait to see the finished outcome.. enjoy my friend..

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
Did you set i up yet?
Maybe Saturday if I'm lucky. I'm having trouble finding the paint I need in my area. I need to paint before I can do anything. I spent yesterday tearing down the canopy and rebuilding it. The guy at Lowes cut every piece at an angle. Nothing was square. Everything was off by 1/8th of an inch. So I cut it all myself with a friggin circular saw. It's better anyway, won't be able to tell any imperfections after the textured paint.

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
BadFishPa, mostlycichlids, GPRC, ChrisK: Thanks for the compliments. The tank and stand just need to be functional to me, it's what's inside that matters. I can't wait to aquascape!

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
NICE!

Can't wait for more updates. What's the stocking plan?
Everybody in the 55: 3 Calvus, 1 Tret, 1 Sexi, PLUS... a school of Cyprichromis Leptosoma, and possibly 2-3 Transcriptus and/ or Cylindricus.

The Sexfasciatus would eventually outgrow the 55 anyway ( at 8" max it would pretty cramped with all the structure ), so I had planned this upgrade for awhile. Plus I love the Cyps, and the 75 should give me room for some of the smaller varients.

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
Don't tell me you are going for the Tropheus colony tank!
Ah yes, the Tropheus tank! I wish I had the cash for that kind of setup. It would have to be Kaiser or something equally flashy, and I have seen not a one around here. Plus my guys need a bigger tank anyway. I will have a 120 gallon Tropheus tank someday......:drool:

GPRC

AC Members
Jun 19, 2008
SW Florida
Ah yes, the Tropheus tank! I wish I had the cash for that kind of setup. It would have to be Kaiser or something equally flashy, and I have seen not a one around here. Plus my guys need a bigger tank anyway. I will have a 120 gallon Tropheus tank someday......:drool:
120g Tropheus would be awesome! (and pricey) How long since you have been to Boardroom Aquatics? They have some really cool Cheery Spots! 3 for $65. :22_yikes:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1913

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
They don't manufacture the paint I wanted anymore, so I'm not real happy with the color of the stand and canopy right now. I was using stuff called American Accents Stone, with texture because I hate sanding. It worked great for the 55, but all I could find this time around was black with white specks.... ugh. I think I'll be painting it black soon.

Anyhow, we got the tank setup today, and the fish in. I saved 30 gallons of water from the 55, used the same sump ( 30 gallon ), and just transferred everything over. I didn't get a mini-cycle when I did this converting to sand in the 55, but I'm going to be checking the parameters often. Pics!....

I filled and refilled twice just to clear as much silt as possible. There wasn't much since the sand was heavily rinsed 6 or 7 months ago, and has been pretty clean since then.
IMG_0670.JPG

I still need to do some rearranging, and the tank is still fairly cloudy. I'm going to plant giant vals in the corners. I hate the overflow box, but I can't drill through this tank... tempered. Do they make them in black?
IMG_0678.JPG

IMG_0670.JPG IMG_0678.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store