75g Paludarium Build Log

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

invertebrater

invertebrater
Mar 6, 2009
Northern California
Real Name
Tommy
thanks everyone for the kind words and encouragement.. yep that's the exact bonsai plant i was looking at.. the hawaiin umbrella plant.. also going throw in some of those miniature pineapple trees in there, and if it ripens the crabs love pineapples.. and this is for "FRESH" water crabs.. not brackish.. you can get them from arrakis on this forum he has a couple species.. Oh and you should seal the foam with epoxy because it is softer on the inside than outside which is peeled off.. it would be weird if i just left it and it was soft like that..

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
http://www.mellobonsai.com/care/Hawaiian-umbrella-bonsai.aspx

"Additionally, all parts of this tree are poisonous so keep this tree away from children and pets and try not to get sap on your skin."

you might try a money tree though, I've seen them growing with their roots in water over a large stone, and they seem to do well.

also Ikea sells a tree (available elsewhere too) that I used a clipping of, and has grown over a foot in less than a year, in my paludarium. I don't remember what it's called, but I believe it's a Chinese something...

crimsonmoon

Gotta love those cories...
Aug 31, 2008
Memphis
very neat set up, this is going to be cool
on your water fall, won't the steepness of it make the water flow quickly and shallow? if you made half of a litle lip to slow it down and make it deeper in a couple places it would be cool. idk if it really will flow quickly and shallow, i just couldn't tell and figured i might as well say something :)
very neat build though. good job so far!

invertebrater

invertebrater
Mar 6, 2009
Northern California
Real Name
Tommy
mellowvision: poisonous tree? gosh.. -_- i was looking forward to using this kind too.. it wouldve made a mini mangrove tree or something to that affect because of the root structure.. ive seen money tree's ill look more into that.. as far as bonsai's goes i may just pick up some small junipers for cheap or just use random plants in my backyard..

crimsonmoon: yeah the plan is to place pebbles along that waterfall and create rapids and fiberglass resin them into place..

PaulJ69

CP addict
Mar 18, 2008
NJ
your crabs are going to love it!

kiyitec

Registered Member
Mar 25, 2009
West Central Missouri
I wasn't suggesting that you eat it!:eek3:
A nice little Mame or Shohin sized tree (or grove) up on A cliff would do, even if you don't choose the Umbrella.
I am looking foreword to more. ~Kiyi

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store