a fish dies every day help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
A River Murray Cod is a predator, so it's possible.

To clarify, you said you got all 0s on your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate tests. Is that correct? If so, something is wrong.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
And rain water, aka distilled water, might cause issues

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
What is the roof made of? Generally speaking, the rain water used for aquariums should NOT be coming off a roof. Collecting it from direct fall is safe, but coming off a roof, it's going to collect particulates at best, and chemicals that you can't test for at worst.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
What is the roof made of? Generally speaking, the rain water used for aquariums should NOT be coming off a roof. Collecting it from direct fall is safe, but coming off a roof, it's going to collect particulates at best, and chemicals that you can't test for at worst.
Not only could it collect particulates and chemicals but also animal droppings and urine could get into the tank.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
A River Murray Cod is a predator, so it's possible.

To clarify, you said you got all 0s on your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate tests. Is that correct? If so, something is wrong.
Normally I agree but the nitrogenous waste from just 11 small fish in over 2,000 gallons of water is not going to register on the test kits available to hobbyists. That is A LOT of dilution power.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
additionally, if there are no readings for nitrates (being at 0), the tank is uncycled.
Not necessarily. The nitrate may be reading 0 ppm, but they may actually be so low that they are not able to be registered by the API kit which is only able to go as low as 5 ppm. The OP has a lot of water and a very light stocking right now.

Right now I'm most concerned with how the tank water is collected. There's no telling what the water is picking up along the roof. I'd set something up where you're getting direct rainfall and not any runoff.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store