a fish dies every day help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
Not necessarily. The nitrate may be reading 0 ppm, but they may actually be so low that they are not able to be registered by the API kit which is only able to go as low as 5 ppm. The OP has a lot of water and a very light stocking right now.

Right now I'm most concerned with how the tank water is collected. There's no telling what the water is picking up along the roof. I'd set something up where you're getting direct rainfall and not any runoff.
For sure. It's like trying to get nitrate readings off a neon in a 55

corrina3

AC Members
Aug 4, 2013
australia
thanks guys . feed all fish last night all looked fit and all had tea , got up today 1 dead swordstail, :( maybe I could change half water to tap ?

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
spent over 500 dollars on the fish, cant work out why they don't show signs of being sick at all
Can you post more pics of your tank? It may help others see what's going on

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
Not necessarily. The nitrate may be reading 0 ppm, but they may actually be so low that they are not able to be registered by the API kit which is only able to go as low as 5 ppm. The OP has a lot of water and a very light stocking right now.

Right now I'm most concerned with how the tank water is collected. There's no telling what the water is picking up along the roof. I'd set something up where you're getting direct rainfall and not any runoff.
.good point, pap, but shouldn't there be some level of reading regardless of the tank size?

I am also concerned with the roofing. It is normally treated I thought

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
water comes off my house roof .
Does it go through a copper pipe?? Is the gutter copper??

I would not use roof water. So many things can go wrong.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
.good point, pap, but shouldn't there be some level of reading regardless of the tank size?

I am also concerned with the roofing. It is normally treated I thought
Only if it's within the threshold of the testing device. The API's lowest reading is 5 ppm...or 0 ppm. It could just be below 5 ppm well enough that it's not showing any discernible color change and thus shows as zero.

corrina3

AC Members
Aug 4, 2013
australia
the rain water is caught off the roof,pvc tubeing and stored in lage galvanized tank.live near nullabor so pollution is not a issue.is the rain water to light that it could be slowly affecting them and if I use tap water,the ph is so high its impossible to bring it back to scale.the tap is very high in chlorine.i also question could the river rocks be a problem?..another rainbow is slowly dieing.is their such a thing as too much aeration in a tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store